Chapter 2

Zahra

A set of keys falls into my hands, and I look back up at the deep brown eyes boring into my own. My heart races, and I feel myself sway, the thick air pushing me towards him. I feel him radiating electricity, being close enough to feel the current through my hoodie and jeans. I can't speak, nor can I breathe properly, tucking the keys into my pocket, I take a small step back.

Seth and Leah are speaking in hushed tones behind me, and I see the man before me look up at them, seeming like he had to force himself to look away from me. The moonlight catches his face, and I see what can only be described as true beauty.

He's got russet skin, that stretches widely over strong muscles that are having a hard time staying in the solid black v-neck he's wearing. He's got chiseled features, a strong jaw, and a nose that looks like it was modeled after Adonis. His eyes are the color of freshly brewed coffee, and are framed by lashes darker than the waters of First Beach. And his lips, my god his lips. They're plump, and angled in a perfect cupids bow. As he speaks, I can see two rows of teeth so white, they could light up the darkest of nights without a problem.

The three of them are speaking low and fast, and it sounds like they're arguing, so I walk towards the water, not really wanting to be apart of anything that goes on between them.

They're known this mystery man for years, obviously. I'm just a tiny stranger that doesn't really deserve to be in the presence of three friends. Even if they are fighting.

I find a large driftwood tree, just at the water's edge, low enough to the ground that the waves of the ocean have lapped up the side of it, making the wood whiter than bone.

Deciding this was where I wanted to sit, I pull off my destroyed converse, and stuff my socks into them, before folding up the hem of my jeans. I let my feet drift slowly to the freezing water, and let it rush over my toes, loving the icy feel of it as it makes its way to my ankles and up my calves.

It's nice being alone like this, even if I'm not really alone. Staring out over the dark water, watching the way the moon ripples in it's currents. The way the cliffs loom overhead, like giants, watching over the land beneath them.

When my toes feel like they're going to fall off, I pull them towards me, turning completely so that my back leans against the tangled roots and I can rest my frigid feet on the trunk of the long tree. My eyes never leave the soft waves, admiring the way they make the gravel of the beach shine, and disappear without a trace.

I love the way the water makes everything around it beautiful.

It's not long before I stare out at the forest on top of the cliffs, the deep green of the pine trees and oak leaves shining in the moonlight. Everything in La Push is so devastatingly gorgeous I can barely contain myself. I just want to run, to run and never look back because even though everything around me is nothing but darkness, these little things bring me the smallest amount of joy. It may only be a little bit, but it's enough to make me think that there's more happiness out there.

"Hey, Zahra," I hear Leah say, but don't turn to face her. "You doing okay?"