twenty

I don't know how long I lay crippled on the floor, overflowing with emotion before I realized someone was knocking on my door. The sound mixed with the hiccups I had accumulated.

"C-can't come to the door right now!" I stuttered, trying to get the person away. The knocking stopped for a moment, and the only noises were those coming from my own body.

Drained from the break down, I just sat there unaware of the slight noise coming from the front door. My eyes stayed put on the wall in front of me, vacant and tired.

"Jade?" A quiet voice muttered from the door. I jumped, and frantically turned my head towards the voice.

Stood before me was a worried looking Dan, clad in black jeans and a hoodie. I curled within myself, trying to hide, even though I knew it wasn't possible. Why was he here? Why the fuck did I leave the door unlocked?

He didn't say a word as he stood in the doorway, causing the tension to slowly thicken.

"G-get o-out." I tried saying as strongly as possible, wanting him to leave me in my pathetically embarrassing state. I'm sure I looked like a mess, my small amount of mascara probably running down my face and cheeks redder than a tomato.

He didn't speak. He only made his way over to me in slow gentle movements, as if not to frighten me. After he got close enough, he slid down so he was sitting across from me, staring straight at me.

"What's going on, darling?" His melodic voice spoke, causing reality to slowly sink into me.

I shook my head and muttered 'nothing is going on' while turning my attention to the floor below me.

"If it's nothing why do you look like you haven't eaten since I last saw you? Why did I hear your crying from my apartment, hmm?"

"It's nothing Dan, sorry for being to loud."

He sighed, and scooted his way closer, until his thighs rested on the outside of my own, and his hands found their way to my knees.

"Jade, love, it's not nothing. You can trust me, open up and it will make you feel a bit better."

"I can't."

"I know it's hard, but I know you can. You need to."

I closed my eyes, frustrated for some reason at his words. He didn't understand. It physically made me ill at the thought of having to trust someone, especially after my sister.

"You d-don't understand."

His fingers began rubbing my jean covered knees, and he kept his head down, letting me continue the silence.

We sat that way for a few minutes u till he finally spoke up, "I do understand, I just don't want you having that weight on your shoulders like I do. That weight of living, that you don't think anyone else could bare to understand."

"The only person who could is gone Dan, gone because she wasn't strong enough." I choked, tears welling again.

"I may not be that strong, but I would always try to be for your sake."

"My own fucking sister couldn't stand her own issues let alone mine when we talked! You Dan, have shit going on and I'm not going to spill my unimportant problems on you, you I'm perfectly fine with taking care of myself, it's been working for quite a long time." I spoke sternly, my hands clenching into fists into my sides, pulling at the skin there.

He lifted his hand up, and rubbed his thumb across my cheek, catching a few tears I didn't notice to have fallen. I flinched at the contact, causing him to retract his slender fingers.

"Your problems are important. Your smile and laugh are important and I want to see them."

I gave him a look, "Oh."

"So what's going on?"

"Nothing, I'm just a bit stressed out, got a bit overwhelmed."

He looked as if he didn't trust my words, but didn't push it. I felt bad not saying anything, but why would I tell him? Nobody has cared in the past, so why would someone suddenly care now?

"Um, since your over, d-do you want some tea?"

He nodded, "Let me make it, you go make yourself comfortable and put on a movie."

"No it's fi-"

"No, my treat with your ingredients."

"Okay."

.•*.•*.•**•.*•.*•.
Dan's POV

As I made our tea, I had to look in the cupboards to find the tea bags but came across a variety of pills. Some laxatives, weight loss pills, and sleep medication. I looked over my shoulder to see Jade picking out a movie, her thinning figure hunched as she bent lower.

Why so many of these pills? Does she take them all currently? My thoughts were interrupted by her voice shouting, "Is Harry Potter okay?"

I responded quickly with a 'yeah' and grabbed the tea bags and closed the drug filled cupboard.

After making two green teas, with sugar and cream, I made my way to where Jade sat watching the title screen. She quickly grabbed a mug, sighing at its warmth. I smiled at how adorable she was being, and scooted closer.

Half way through the movie I felt her head droop onto my shoulder, and I smiled. She was so closed off, and it frustrated me. I'm sure my security probably pisses people off too, but she is more important and she deserves to be able to trust someone.