twenty eight

The final morning of our visit wasn't exactly the best, seeing as both my parents and brother were hungover to some degree or another. Coming down stairs it was apparent, my father clutching his head and my mother giving him Advil and taking the pills herself. Along with the sickly sounds coming from the toilet.

I grimaced, embarrassed by my family's actions while Dan was here. Hopefully they didn't get too hostile.

"Morning." I almost whispered, trying not to harm their already aching skulls.

They groaned in response and my father made out a word I could only assume as 'food'.

Guess I was in charge of breakfast.

.•*.•*.•**•.*•.*•.

After making some toast and eggs for everyone, they all seemed to settle in their chairs with disgust of the food in front of them. They didn't say anything, at least at first. Dan and I ate in silence as the hungover three groaned and mumbled as they ate.

"Honey, what did you put in these eggs?" My father asked, moving them around with his fork.

"Umm egg? And some salt and pepper." I answered, a confused glance going his way.

"Obviously you added something else, they taste shitty."

"Do you want me to make you something else, Dad?"

"No you'll probably fuck that up too."

We ate in silence after that comment, Dan kept sending me glances but I ignored them, trying to get away from the table as soon as possible. I ate the rest of my portion before excusing myself to the bathroom.

I did my usual actions, relieving my body from the things I had fed it. I made sure I got rid of the shitty eggs I had made as well as the carb filled toast. Don't need that in me.

As I returned it was just Dan and my mother at the table, plates emptied and small smiles sent my way.

"Thank you for breakfast, it means a lot." My mother spoke, before slowly getting up to retreat into the living room.

.•*.•*.•**•.*•.*•.
Dan and I packed quickly, and I called a cab that would arrive in about an hour. My visit wasn't the best nor worst I had experienced since moving out, but the only thing I wanted was to go home.

"Sorry about my dad this morning, he gets bitchy in the mornings." I sighed, tossing my outfit from last night into my suitcase.

"No, it's fine. I just feel bad that he judged your cooking, I thought the food was lovely."

I smiled up at him gratefully, and we continued packing, ready for the long ride home.
.
"Mum thank you for having us." I smiled, pulling her into a hug. She had tears in her eyes, and was trying to contain them.

"Oh you know your welcome here anytime honey. And Daniel as well."

Dan wasn't in sight, nor was my father.

"Dad! Daniel and I need to leave, our ride is out front!" I hollered, not wanting to make the driver wait.

They both walked out of the kitchen a few moments later, Dan looking a bit rattled and my dad holding a worried expression. My eyebrows knotted together, wanting to know the means of their expressions.

I didn't get answers, only a hug and kiss on the cheek from my father and a quick hug from my brother.

"Bye guys, I love you." I said, walking through the door with Dan on my trail.

.•*.•*.•**•.*•.*•.
Dan's POV

"So um what did you and my father talk about?" Jade asked, turning her body towards me.

"Oh nothing, just wanted to thank me for coming over for the weekend." I replied, trying not to delve into the actual aspects of the conversation.

"Are you sure? You seemed pretty rattled up before we left." She said, head tilting to the side.

I pulled off the best smile I could,"Positive."

She gave me one last glance before turning herself towards the window, head resting on it as she watched the scenery go by. Her light blue eyes had dark half moons below them, and it revealed the tiredness her body held. Her blonde locks were in a sloppy braid, her shorter pieces fallen across her forehead.

Beautiful.

My hand found the hole in her torn black jeans, subconsciously playing with the small amount of skin shown. A small smile drew across her face, but quickly disappeared as she squeezed her eyes shut, as if shutting out everything around her.

Her fingers wrapped around mine and I felt special, she wasn't completely shutting me out. Me of all things.

I didn't have anything much to offer her, maybe a friendship full of understanding, but I couldn't be the vessel to make her happy. The happiness her father assured me never was instilled in her.

"She isn't worth your time Daniel, as much as you seem like a great guy. She shuts things out, and becomes completely unaware of her own needs. She could be the greatest person for you, but she is going to snap. Jade didn't have friends, probably because she either was too odd or unrelatable.

A while ago she came to me and convinced me she was great. God she wasn't great, I could see the bones through her skin, nothing like the healthy built girl I raised. She is a freak, and I don't want you messing with her. She pops pills, I've seen it. Your a good lad, and the last thing you need is my broken daughter ruining that. She has always been sad, and even when she makes you laugh look in her eyes and you'll see she isn't really laughing with you. She's unattached with what's going on while being too attached. A ticking time bomb." He finished his speech with a sad expression.

"Sir, she is stronger than you see. I've only seen joy behind her eyes when she laughs, only true happiness when she wins at some stupid game we played. She isn't unattached, she is just a little afraid of being intouch. I am too."

"You must be blind, she is going insane."

"I don't see it, and you shouldn't either. Jade is your daughter, not some strange girl who used to live in your home. I'm sorry sir, but I plan on staying around her as long as she will let me."

He gave me a grim face, looking me square in the face before responding, "Daniel, son, she is going to snap, and I'm not too sure you want to be around for it."

"Maybe she snaps because she has nobody around to help her from doing so." I spoke, hinting at how little he knew about her situation.

"That has not one milligram of an effect. She likes to be alone. She has always been alone, so it's best if you let her do that."

"She isn't looking to be alone. She is looking to be understood."

"How is becoming skin and bone something understandable?" He asked.

"Jade isn't skin and bone is she? She is better." I spoke, confident.

"Son, time will only tell. Promise me one thing, please."

"Yeah, what is it?"

"If you plan on sticking around, make sure she doesn't die a skeleton before she turns twenty five. Protect her from herself, God knows I don't know how."

"I promise sir, Jade will stay healthy as long as I'm around."

I gave her hand a squeeze, and her eyes fluttered open, meeting my own.

"What?" She smiled softly.

"Nothing, just wanted to see those pretty orbs of yours."

"God your so cheeky Dan, let me nap." She giggled, leaning against the window again.

I chuckled, and began rubbing her knuckles, which continued the whole ride home.