15. Do You Think I've Forgotten?

Taking a sip of her coffee she leaned over the counter and watched Ross run behind- trying to grab the small child running around bottomless. She laughed as the kid made its way outside and Ross followed quickly in suit.
    It was entertaining watching a grown man trying to catch a little toddler. Just thinking about running made her bones tired. She sighed again and look up at the ceiling, "We're getting old."

      "Gotcha!" You could hear Ross grab the child and run back quickly inside- getting him on the couch and with haste put on his diaper. "We're getting old." Ross said as well.
        "I just said that," Jackie smiled and turned to pass him a cup of coffee.
         "We're just that connected that we just know," Ross smiled and grabbed the mug and let the kid run free again. And the kid did. Without hesitation.
          "I guess so," she patted Ross's head then sat down next to him. "Adam's coming back today right?" Jackie rested her head on Ross.
           He wrapped an arm around her shoulders and hummed a yes, "He better. He said they'd be coming back today since ya know."
           Jackie mumbled as she set down her drink to cuddle against Ross.

     About 5 years ago Ross and the band went through new contract signings. In which Ross stated that Matty could not harass Jackie any longer as he's seen it happen and would have to take it into legal action as he contributed to a hostile work environment. But Jackie had gotten out of that and quickly found a job and worked for another company and now she mainly works from home or in a different country when they need her.
     It worked out perfectly.
     Except, because of this,  she hardly saw any members of the crew or group. But she was able to follow her passion in which Mich helped set up. She was going around the world as a fashion photographer. Although, as the years passed it stopped becoming around the world and more to a studio that looked like location photography.
      Jackie still enjoyed it as much, but she slowly stopped working as hard as she did since work became steady. The only thing was...she hadn't seen Matty in years. Not on purpose, just not not on purpose either.

Her eyes focused on nothing outside. What would life be like if she stayed with Matty? The thought of him singing as he made her eggs in the morning. She held back a smile. A morning so many years ago- she had slept with Matty. She gripped her mug a little tighter.
This was something Ross certainly did not know. It pained her everyday since. They had slept together in the rented car and went back to his place. She had left quickly during the night and snuck home. Imagining what it would've been like to have stayed instead.
Matty cooking those eggs and singing...

"You drifted away there?" Ross rubbed her knee as he leaned over to see her face.
She mumbled a sorry and focused her eyes on him, "Are we happy?" It came out so quickly she didn't even have time to process what she asked.
Ross also looked a little stunned, "I hope so."
"I mean- are you happy? Am I happy? Are we happy?" She set the mug down on the coffee table and turned towards him.
"I think I understood the question, so...I hope so." He rested his hands on hers assuringly and gave her a small smile.
"We wouldn't be where we are right now, right? Here with the kid and all?" She bit the inside of her lip as she listened to the little kid run around throwing toys in the hall.
Ross's face now had a hint of a worried expression. The smile still on his face, but his eyes said otherwise, "You don't have to be happy to be doing things," he said almost like a question, as if he wasn't really sure if he even believed what he was saying.
That had to satisfy for now. Jackie nodded and turned away. She held back a sigh. Looking back outside. Today's the day, she thought.

     After a couple of hours of getting the party set up it was almost time for everyone to arrive. Jackie had also taken the time to get dressed up while caterers finished setting up the food.
She held her body against the wardrobe by the bed. Feeling the hard cold wood dig into her hands and bum. She pressed herself firmly into it trying to distract herself with a different feeling rather than nervousness. Trying to catch her breath, she tried to comfort herself. She knows this day isn't about her, but she felt so worried.