Chapter 11 - Sleepless Night

Silence enveloped the entirety of the facility as it slept. Quiet hallways with only murmurs of the creatures within and whispers of the air as it passed through the empty halls. Night was the only time all would lay so silently in this place as its inhabitants took to rest.

Not everyone was able to sleep so soundly tonight, however.

As Ponk lay within his room, he simply stared at the ceiling above, off into the darkness that enveloped it. He knew he should have been sleeping by now, practically the first hour of morning, but he couldn't find himself to close his eyes... not with that SCP on his mind...

As different thoughts, questions, ideas, excitements and fears raced through his mind, there was no wonder he was so stirred up. How could anyone sleep after discovering such creatures such as the SCPs?

Such a peculiar creature he'd met, that Sam. He'd only met them a few hours earlier, though he so desperately wished he could have stayed longer. There were many other SCPs to see and research, but he didn't care nearly as much about them as he did this one in particular. He was so kind, so gentle, so sweet with his words. If he had not been looking right at the creature, he'd have never even known they weren't human. His soft smile spoke no different.

The idea of leaving him there in that empty containment bothered him though. It was dull and gray, looking to be nothing more than the concrete walls of a prison cell. No items of comfort nor any form of entertainment or even some company, just an empty room with a glass wall so that others may observe him, merely watching the creature sit alone, unhappy, like some lonely animal locked away in a cage.

Lonely he was... Sam had told him so...

Ponk knew what that felt like...

He turned over beneath the sheets of his bed, his messy hair falling over his eyes momentarily as it wasn't currently held back by the mask he wore, instead sitting beside him on a nightstand. He pushed his thoughts away with a sigh, now staring through the darkness at the door of his sleeping quarters. If there weren't a curfew on the "newcomers," he'd have been out there a long time ago. It seemed senior staff simply didn't trust them all yet, since they were able to wander the night hours but he was not.

The longer he stared however, the more he thought about it. Yes, senior staff could wander, though they too said they usually sleep, meaning they'd all be in their own rooms. All except a few MTF that rotate on guard duty, the halls were bare as can be, no one around to see anything...

He debated...

- - -

George sat in his quiet office, door closed, lights dim. He scribbled down with his pen another note onto his notepad, popping the pen and turning straight back to his computer, SCP files still showing. He'd been at it for hours.

It was practically one in the morning, but he didn't really know that. He hadn't cared to take a peek at the clock at all. Perhaps subconsciously he was afraid to, his mind aware he needed to put this little operation to a halt and sleep. He was too preoccupied for that right now though, which was actually quite unlike him, passing up sleep. He slept like a bear in hibernation every night and nap of his life. Not tonight. He knew if he set his head down or rested a moment he'd drift off in a split second, so he'd been at it nonstop.

His notepad was covered in a collection of different notes on SCPs, all the notes that he found to stand out within their files. He didn't want to take every file there as his only information and viewpoint considering his recent interaction with the kid "Ghostbur," so he was writing his own. He flipped the page to a fresh one as he switched files again.

"SCP-34R0" he titled it. "Cognitohazard"

Seeing the unfamiliar word once more, he circled it and put a sub-note beside it.