-16-

(play the song above when mentioned in the story)

The cackling of the familiar green fireplace rang through my ears. I immediately opened my eyes as I sensed the smell of wood burning. I found myself laying down comfortably on the luxurious leather sofa in the Slytherin common room covered with a light blanket. I hectically got up and started searching around for any sign of a wizard or witch that could be hiding in the dark corners of the room as it was only dimly lit by the fireplace alone.

I tried to search for my wand but couldn't find it. I looked down at my hands and saw cruel slashes and open wounds all over them. I gradually started remembering the latest events that took place in the Room of Requirements, however, couldn't place just who was the culprit behind my falling unconscious in the midst of the horrid situation. That is until I heard the voice I both loved and dreaded most.

"Good morning to you too," Draco came into sight with a cup of water in his hand, "Are you feeling better?"

"Why am I here? Where is my wand? Is Leila, okay?" I bashed the blonde with multiple questions ignoring his own, "Merlin, Draco, could you please explain?"

"I would if you'd let me talk it out with you first," Draco rolled his eyes sarcastically and sat down near my legs, "Here, you must be dehydrated."

I hurriedly snatched the cup of water from the all too familiar cold hands I have held before and gulped everything down to the bottom. As I took a deep breath trying to reminisce any other memories from before I lost consciousness, I felt Draco's hand brush mine taking the cup away and putting it down on the coffee table in front of us.

"I may have or may have not accidentally knocked you out when we were in the Room of Requirements," Draco explained shyly trying to avoid my not-so-surprised facial expression.

"So very noble of you, Malfoy," I rolled my eyes at him, "What about my wand?"

"Here," Draco replied, quickly taking out my wand from his coat pocket, "Managed to snatch it right before we left that bloody room."

"What happened after I fainted?" I asked quirking my eyebrow, "I mean, right after you knocked me out of course."

"Please don't be so sour about it, Y/N," Draco said apologetically his eyes filling with the same sorrow I hate most, "Well, we burnt it down."

"Exactly, how?" I asked trying to find any rhyme or reason Draco would randomly set a room on fire.

"Goyle used the charm of Fiendfyre," Draco replied with his voice becoming weaker by word.

"So, is it safe to assume that everyone got out of that mess alive and well?" I asked worriedly as I noticed the sudden change in Draco's voice.

The uncomfortable silence filled the air yet again. Draco looked down at his hands playing with the torn sleeve of his attire. Suddenly, I recognized the feeling that hit me. But it was too late, Draco had already responded.

"Goyle's dead," he managed to say trying to fight tears gushing through his eyes.

I immediately shifted toward him embracing him in my arms and drawing circles on his back trying to calm him down. Draco was shaking uncontrollably, trying to muster out all the words at once, trying to convince me that everything was okay and that he didn't need any worry coming from me.

I knew that feeling oh too well.

Not being able to come up with the right words or phrases to say, or to feel the right way about what happened. Suddenly, all the anger I held over Draco's head was washed away by the feeling of sympathy.

At the moment, for once, I felt helpless.

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

(play the song above <3)

After an hour of sitting in silence in each other's arms looking at the green flames dancing happily around in the fireplace, it seemed that Draco had calmed down. His face was pale, with beautiful eyes and lips red and puffy from all the tears that fell.

He looks like a sad dream.

I looked at his eyes which were now closed as he seemed to be thinking about something. His breathing became steadier, yet there were a few deep breaths following one another. As soon as I wanted to check up on him, his breathing went back to normal as if telling me not to worry about it.

Such a beautiful dream.

I took my one hand off him lazily and took the necklace out of my shirt. I started examining it as per usual. The same old plain silver ring with a few slight scratches surrounding the ends of it. It seemed so old now. It's been a year and a half after all.

Now, I completely detached myself from the blonde and carefully took off the necklace for the first time in that year and a half. I looked at the chain of the necklace which had already lost its sparkle as I always had it on my even when I showered.

To be frank, how could I even take it off? It was such a core memory that would live on with me forever. The Christmas morning when he handed it to me as if saying it was just a small gift, I shouldn't have minded. I smiled at the memory softly brushing my fingers against the ring, secretly hoping for more memories like these to occur more often.

I took the ring off the chain and carefully put it around my thumb as it was a bit too wide for my hand. I admired the ring for a while as I looked back at Draco who was watching me intently for the whole time, I've been thinking to myself with the softest smile on his face too. He must have remembered the same memory as well.

"Hey, Draco," I spoke softly trying to take his hand into mine.

Draco hummed in response admiring the ring on my finger his eyes filled with melancholic adoration.

"When all of this ends, let's run away together just like we always wanted," I managed to say, "Away from everything and everyone, stay in a small house in the middle of nowhere."

"Just promise me to never leave my side until this is over."

"I promise."

Over time, promises like this are made a lot,

Now, all that mattered was whether this one was hollow or not.

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

a/n: heyyy...haven't seen y'all in 2 weeks but hey, school started...

anyway, while i was away, i wrote the script for the rest of the story. expect it to end at chapter 18 or 19