EPILOGUE: WITH LOVE

SEVERAL WEEKS AFTER THE KOSORI CASE...

According to the instructions on the envelope, Naru didn't read the letter inside until he was alone. At first he had no intentions of letting Nira direct his schedule, but after watching her fade away like an afterimage, he felt oddly... sentimental. He hadn't felt this way since Gene went back to sleep after the Kosori case.

It was rare emotion, and rare that he could recognize an emotion for what it was and know why he felt it, so he did what he rarely did and humored the girl, even if she wasn't here.

Oliver,

If you're reading this, then all the effort I put into writing this hasn't gone to waste, and I thank you for that. At first I was just going to go out with a bang and leave no trace behind and have everyone question if I ever really existed, but then I changed my mind. There's only so much you can joke around, especially when you have limited time with someone.

Not that that stopped me, of course.

Despite himself, Naru arched an eyebrow.

If I was going to leave without knowing when or if I'd come back, I wanted to linger in your mind and heart a little. I wanted to make you think you see me in the crowd, then dismiss it with a little disappointment. I wanted you to imagine that you smell the aroma of the cinnamon and clove tea that I brewed. I wanted you to think of me often, remember my jokes and smile, and wonder what I'm doing and where I am and if I'm thinking about you to. There's a Walt Whitman quote that says something along the same lines, but since I don't remember it verbatim I'll just have to move along and curse the fact that I didn't think to look it up on the internet.

I never said this in person (mostly because how do you put the heart into words?) but I really love you. I love you as a friends, almost like a brother. I love your annoyingness (yes, it's a word). I love your ridiculous poshness. I love your over-large heart and thoughtfulness and everything about you that makes you the kind, caring individual that you think you aren't. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Ever. Or I will come beat them up somehow.

God, I'm starting to get emotional, so I'll sign off. Don't question it if you see Lin crying. He probably read the letter that I left for him.

With love,

Nira

Beneath her signature, Naru read the name she scribbled in pink ink over and over again like a spell, a part of him wondering if it would summon her like a genie if he ever wanted her to come back.

That was if, of course. Good riddance.