Chapter 19

The knife sped down, and as Gene screamed in my head Naru grabbed my shoulder and was about to pull me out of the way when a familiar voice filled the air, firm and fast.

"Rin, Pyou, Tou, Sha, Kai, Chin, Retsu, Zai, Zen. Nomaku sanmanda bazaradan kan!"

I squeaked and narrowly dodged as Masaru fell forward senselessly, revealing Mai's triumphant grin. I nearly wept for joy.

Naru, on the other hand, glared as he struggled to his feet and dragged me upright. "Fool! Why are you here?"

"Because you're unreliable, obviously." She put her hand on her hips and arched an eyebrow at him. "Where's my thanks?"

Naru exhaled, shaking his head. "Secure the knife that he dropped."

"Okay."

Whatever was possessing him must've been something ridiculously strong because as Mai bent down to grab the two knives, Masaru twitched and groaned. His eyes snapped open and focused on Naru.

"Naru!" Mai yelped, but Naru was already zooming off with me on his heels. Masaru panted and growled as he stumbled after us. Clearly not knowing where he was going, Naru dashed into the farthest room and yanked back the curtains and growled. "Not a mirror."

"Still reflective!" I snapped. "Just try!"

Masaru poked his head in. Gritting his teeth, Naru whirled around and touched his hand to the window.

His hand glowed.

Snarling, Masaru lunged. Naru waited until he was close enough before darting forward and zapping him with the largest spark I'd seen from him so far.

Inside my head, Gene winced. That was enough power to take out two people.

Good.

"Naru." A tall, dark shadow strode inside, resolving into Lin. He glanced at the boy lying on the floor, then at his charge leaning against the window and sweating. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah."

Lin's eye narrowed, and I knew Naru had done it now. "You used your power."

Naru held up his hands, guilty as charged. "And I'm safe thanks to that. Overlook it this time."

Naru.

Naru and I stilled.

It has separated from him. Kosori is here.

Where?

The rear entrance.

Naru took off without a warning. I made to follow, but my wobbly legs almost gave out. Lin stepped forward, but I caught myself against the wall just in time. "Are you alright? You look like you're about to collapse." He said, mother-henning in the way only Lin could. "Sit. Naru and Bou-san can handle the rest."

I leaned my head against the wall, and when I couldn't bring myself to make a joke I realized just how exhausted I was. Yikes.

I somehow managed to doze off in the chaos of Bou-san's exorcism (and managed to miss him doing the Nine Syllables for the first time), and when my eyes fluttered open I saw Lin sitting next to me, a pair of steaming teacups in front of him.

"It's over?" I asked groggily, pulling myself upright. Something in my back cracked. I winced.

"Its over." He confirmed.

"And Gene?"

He gave me an odd look. "Are you still sleeping?"

So Naru hadn't told him yet. Instinctively I felt a little emptiness in my brain, as if suddenly there was a vacancy that had been filled until a second ago.

Distantly, I heard his soft laughter. Take care of Noll for me, Nira.

I will. As much as I can, while I'm still here.