Chapter 1 Class Trial (Part 1)

POV - Kokoro

The room was large and round, carrying an elegant echo . My eyes were assaulted by checkerboard floors lined with red velvet carpets, the deep black walls festooned with crimson curtains, candelabra sconces and gold banners. Fourteen wooden podiums sat in the center of the room, lined up in a circle so we would all be facing each other. And above and behind it all sat Monocrow atop a decorative throne of plush scarlet cushions and gilded wood.

"Okay, okay," our headmaster said, "Everyone find your assigned seats and sit down! Hurry up, now, hurry up!"

Quietly we made our way to the podiums. Mine happened to be directly across from Monocrow; I gulped as I realized he'd be staring right at me throughout the ordeal. From my position, in a clockwise order, Emma stood to my left, followed by Nikei, Syobai, Mikado, Shinji, Hibiki, Kanade, Yoruko, Sora, Iroha, Hajime and finally Setsuka to my right. Next to Mikado would've sat Yuri, who surely would have reassured us all throughout this terrible game... but instead of her living body, her smiling face, there sat a black and white photo of her face on a long stand, crossed out with a bloody pink X.

It hit us all:

Yuri was dead. She was gone. She was not coming back. She was not going to save us.

And so, the curtain on our first case was drawn open.

A deadly judgment

A deadly deception.

A deadly betrayal.

A deadly riddle, a deadly defense, a deadly faith... A deadly Class Trial!

CLASS TRIAL, IN SESSION!

"Hello! Welcome to our first ever Class Trial!" Monocrow said. "So, Blackened, let's see if you can make it count! I know you all just love your teacher right now, so don't worry! You know, I'm a good brother! I've got the best seat in the house reserved for my sister Yuki!"

Falling from the ceiling and bouncing was the aforementioned girl, strung up by thick pink ribbons.

"This is humiliating..." I heard Yuki said.

"Sheesh, I'm getting way too off track," Monocrow said. "Let the Class Trial begin!"

"I wish to know why that unwelcoming picture of Yuri is there," Iroha trembled as she pointed.

"I'd feel awful if she got left out just because she died!" replied Monocrow. "Friendship penetrates even death's barrier!"

I took a few deep breaths, though they barely helped. Anything I had noticed, anything I had found, I had to be ready to speak up about anything and everything.

...Oh, Goddess... I don't know if I can do this... but... but I have to... or we'll all die here!

"Okay... so..." Mikado began, quickly losing his confidence. "...Er, has anyone here been in a trial before? What do we do?"

"Don't take the lead if you don't know what you're doing!" Sora chided.

"Well, if I'm a journalist, then I can lead us," said Nikei. "Uh... first, we should talk about the state of the body. Like... what was off about it."

"Lots was off about it. She's fuckin' dead!" Hibiki snapped, holding her head in her hands.

"No, no... besides that. Let's talk about how we found Yuri," Nikei shook his head slowly.

Non Stop Debate, Start!

Nikei: Okay... so, the victim was found in the billiards room.