-✩-

"Amazing performance tonight, Gerard."

  "I'm sorry?" The words were abruptly dragged away from the roar of the glowing city they were spoken towards as Gerard turned his head, eyebrows already knitting together in confusion at the comment before he could find out who it belonged to. He felt an initial wave of shock spread across his chest at the sound of his name, the two syllables being able to slide so comfortably out the mouth of an unknown person feeling alien to him. Maybe they had actually bothered to read the playbill offered at the auditorium doors, the ones that most people picked up just to have a souvenir to take home, the ones that almost always ended up decorating the aisles, rows, and trash bins by the end of the night.

  With his head turned, Gerard was able to see who had spoken to him. Before him was a short man with a camera hanging around his neck, a playbill in his tattooed hands, and a crisp, tailored suit hugging his frame. He turned his body to be angled towards the man slightly, the crash bar of the open door he was leaning on creaking under him as he moved, and offered a soft smile.

  "Oh, thank you so much," he said, "sorry, I'm not used to people knowing my name." He traded his weight between his feet as he felt the air around him grow tense, encircling him from head to toe and leaving his limbs cold and damp. Normally, Gerard held himself up with confidence and grace when he was approached by audience members after his shows, carrying with him the attitude he flaunted under the shine and heat of the stage lights. Before he could open his mouth to explain that to the man and most likely make himself out to be even more of a fool, his plan was interrupted.

  "Don't worry about it, I understand." The man gave a smile of his own and began to fiddle with the paper in his hands. "I just loved your performance, I knew I had to get your name and find you the moment you left the stage." Gerard gave a quiet hum in response to the compliment, the same reaction he always gave to cover up the way he worked to shove down the warmth that would threaten to spider its way up his neck and face. He turned his gaze down past his ornate golden vest and snow white tights and put his attention briefly to his slippers, pretending that they were unbelievably interesting for a few long, awkward seconds before meeting the gaze of the man with the camera once more.

  As if realizing he'd forgotten something, the man spoke again. "I'm a reviewer, a photographer; I'm here tonight on commission. The auditorium told me this was the biggest performance of the year, one with only the best dancers, the best vocalists. Triple-threats all down the bill to make sure this feat could be pulled off. They were right, but they never told me about you specifically," Gerard could feel a pair of intense eyes slowly raking over him, "you captivated me... you seemed to hold the attention of my camera without my conscious input. I've never seen a man move with such elegance and fluidity, and I've never heard one sing with such haunting beauty. It's no wonder they put you front and center."

  Gerard stood in silence then, his jaw slack and lips parted slightly in disbelief at the man's words. He cleared his throat and pushed his hair behind his ear while he steeped in everything he'd just been told, now suddenly falling back on himself to remember exactly how the performance had gone, searching for what possibly could have prompted a description like that. His thoughts were backed up by the sound of the man removing and reattaching the lens cover of his camera, his playbill now tucked safely and securely under one arm.

  Finally, he found the words he needed. "Wow, um, thank you again. No one's ever described me like that before. I've poured my whole heart and soul and then some into my skills, you have no idea how wonderful it feels to know I'm being seen the way I strive to be."

  He clasped his hands together at his front and glanced out towards the sparkling lights and skyscrapers that seemed to reach out all the way to Heaven, then threw a grin towards the sea of cars that churned at eye level. He'd been expecting people to be eager to congratulate the entire cast tonight, having already spoken to several audience members before he was approached by the man with the camera. Tonight's performance was the first in the auditorium's history that featured singing ballet dancers, and it was touted as a showcase of grace, control, and strength. He remembered making it through the auditions months before, how excited, nervous, and proud he had been after ending the acceptance call with the judges. Now, it was over, and he had pulled it off, even under the pressure of having his name showcased in bold letters at the very top of the bill, alongside two female dancers to make up what their instructor had dubbed "the magic trio".