𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

Start from the beginning

(F/n) stopped, memories flashed through her eyes of the horrible sights she saw, causing her breath to stay in her throat. Oikawa noticed and debated on whether to comfort her or let her be. But he decided to bite the bullet and scooted closer to her while putting his hand on her shoulder.

“S-sorry,” (F/n) shook her head and took a deep breath, placing the mug down on the coffee table.

“Take your time,” Oikawa told her before he set his hand down.

"I um…" (F/n) looked at Oikawa, "I almost got killed,"

Oikawa's eyes widened. He knew that death was a risk given her job.

"And if it wasn't for Akaashi, I wouldn't be here," (F/n) looked down.

"But he was there," Oikawa said, "that's all that matters,"

"Yeah but-"

"Hey," Oikawa placed his hand on her hand, which was fidgeting with the edge of her skirt, "yes, something could've gone wrong, but it didn't," Oikawa pushed back the fact that his heart was racing, "you're here, you're alive, you're not badly injured, that's what matters most,"

(F/n) stared at his hand. She felt something deep down inside of her that felt nostalgic. It brought her back to a memory she had in high school. But she pushed it back when she felt unexpected tears roll down her cheeks.

"Hey…" Oikawa put his mug down and gently pulled (F/n) in his arms. (F/n) tensed up but slowly wrapped her arms around him, quietly crying in his chest, not wanting Kohana to wake up. Oikawa stroked her hair, remembering how he used to comfort her when they were in high school, "it's okay (F/n), you're okay,"

He whispered the same phrases he did back then and all the small gestures that helped her calm back down.

Eventually, (F/n) relaxed her gripped and started to pull away. Oikawa retracted his arms but still kept her close. (F/n) wiped her face but kept her gaze down.

"Sorry," she sniffed, "that wasn't like me,"

"Don't apologize," Oikawa told her, "there's nothing wrong with showing a bit of emotion,"

(F/n)'s eyebrows scrunched together, "says you,"

Oikawa scoffed, "what's that supposed to mean?"

(F/n) giggled and looked up at him, "exactly what it implies,"

"Hmph," Oikawa pouted but he felt a smile creep on his face.

(F/n) then rested her forehead against his chest. She knew she regretted the gesture, but she couldn't help but miss this. She missed when she and Oikawa were okay with each other. She missed when they were close, even if it was short lived and out of nowhere. She'd never admit it out loud though. She knew deep down inside her feelings for him had never left. She thought they disappeared ever since that night. But they just happened to resurface when Oikawa came back from Argentina.

And Oikawa would be lying if he said his feelings disappeared too. Truth is, his feelings only grew since that night. As much as he tried to deny them and replace them, they still stayed no matter what. And that's what scared him most. Because in the off-chance that (F/n) found someone before he could ever get to her, he'd be stuck knowing he could never love anyone else, because (F/n) already had his heart.

-

Oikawa looked at the time displayed on the TV box. 3:45 a.m.

"Hey," (F/n) looked up from resting her head on his chest,"

"Hmm?"

"We should probably head to bed," Oikawa scratched the back of his head.

"Shit," (F/n) ran her fingers through her disheveled hair, "I forgot to call Monte about all this,"