She set about rummaging through every door, drawer and closet, finding all sort of things she'd half forgotten she had, unplayed board games, unloved manga volumes, knick knacks that had seemed to important to chuck away. Nothing suitable. Eventually though, at the back of a draw, there was a cardboard box, sealed with brown packing tape and bearing ominous lettering.

"DO NOT OPEN" it shouted in black sharpie.

She didn't recognise it. She pulled the layer of tape from it and cracked it open. Another, smaller box and two notes, unmistakably written in her own handwriting, one labelled "Kronii" another labelled "Interloper".

"Dear Future Kronii." The letter began. "First of all, congratulations on forgetting about this. Second of all, condolences on finding it. Third of all, I highly recommend you put it back and start trying to forget about it again, lest you look upon something that causes you more major, lasting psychological damage."

Kronii blinked. How did she not remember this? She remembered everything. Frankly way too much.

Well.

Now she had to open it.

She pulled the box out, lifted the flaps and pulled the lid up. Lying there on a bed of tissue paper were a pair of identical lockets made of cheap polished nickel. Kronii knew what they were immediately. She picked one up, opening it up delicately and revealing the two pictures contained within, on the left, her younger self trying not to smile and throwing up a peace sign. In the other, Fauna, unafraid to smile, making the same sign with more gusto.

The pictures were from a camping trip the two of them had taken together in secret out to the mountains. One of the last things they ever did as a couple. Kronii felt a lump in her throat as she looked at her friend's smiling face and remembered the hurt that would soon come into their lives. The lockets were supposed to be a gift for their second anniversary.

But that day never came.

"You didn't deserve that." Kronii whispered to the photograph, her voice trembling a little.

She closed the lid and placed the locket back in the box, resolving to finally give it to Fauna when she returned, nine years late or not.

In the end, Kronii opted for the easiest surprise she could muster, throwing on her nicest underwear under a blue velvet robe, putting on lipstick and mascara for once and getting out the nicest wine they had in the house.

"It'll do" she shrugged, looking herself up and down in the mirror. Now it was just a matter of waiting until Mumei got home.

When the front door opened, Kronii was already saying "Welcome back" in her most sultry voice, only for her eyes to meet those of Hakos Baelz.

"Uh. Hey." She said, waving slightly and stepping aside to allow Mumei to pass, her arms full with a big box. "Lookin good Kronii."

Kronii felt her cheeks flush. "O-of course I am." She said, only stammering a little. "Mumei, you didn't say Bae was coming over."

"Oh I ain't stayin, just gave Mumei a lift back, it's a lot to carry from the shop." Bae shrugged, making a big show of not looking at Kronii.

"And what is it?" Kronii asked.

"The secret!" Mumei grinned, having placed the box on the kitchen table. "Ooh! You do look good!"

Kronii's cheeks went beet red. "T-thanks Mumei."

"Alright, I'm gonna leave you two lovebirds to it." Bae piped up, wandering over to the door. "Got a hot date tonight too."

"Have fun!" Mumei called, as they walked out of the door, giving a lazy, back of the hand wave.