14: Mother's Curse

Start from the beginning

She didn't know she had been crying until she subconsciously moved her palm on his intricate handwriting. 'May this Qur'an be a guide to you in your entire life. May it bring so much ease and Barakah into your life. Happy Birthday, Diyar Albarka. Alhaji Babba loves you, little one.'

Alhaji Babba was her grandfather, but he had taken up the space of both a mother and father that she had never known of. And even though for the beautiful memories she had in life were of the first thirteen years of her life, she would forever be thankful that she once had someone as strong and sturdy as Alhaji Babba in her life. And the knowledge that if he were alive, how different her life would've been, always brought the most dirtiest of tears to her cheeks.

In the most melodious Qira'ah, which she had gotten from when Alhaji Babba used to teach her Qur'an himself, Sabeeha started reciting the Qur'an and she didn't stop, never minding that she would be late for breakfast making until she felt the peace she had always felt whenever she recited the Qur'an and then she got to her feet after making her supplications. Feeling her heart getting filled with so much strength and trust for the plans the Almighty had for her life.

She went to the kitchen and began working while she subconsciously supplicated and around 7:30am, she heard Waleed calling her name distinctively from the window. "Ammi, I'm leaving for school."

She washed her hands first before she opened the door for him. "Come on, get in. Have you taken your breakfast?" She had asked. She knew she had never asked him that, because she was afraid of what Hajia would say or do to her when she found out that she fed him breakfast exclusively.

And it wouldn't be because the food mattered. She wouldn't even mind if Sabeeha was going to empty the entire pantry for him. But because she knew feeding her son would most definitely make her happy, that's when the problem would be and she had this severe allergy to Sabeeha's happiness that she tend to cut it off no matter how flimsy it may look.

He stared between her face and the kitchen before he spoke. "Uncle Zaid is waiting for me, Ammi. And he's going to buy me something on our way to the school." He said kindly and she smiled at him.

"Go and tell Uncle Zaid that you please need 20mins more, Ammi is going to feed you today, I'm sure he won't say no." She watched him ran away with excitement evident on his face.

And when he came back, he sat down on the kitchen island while she quickly get the breakfast for him. She sat down beside him as he ate while she stared at him. She didn't know what would be of Waleed's life in the next five years to come. Even though she knew no matter how painful life would be, he'd still live through it, just like she had. But she was only alive, and she didn't want her son to have the same life. She wanted him to live life, to explore new things and feel new emotions everyday.

He was quickly done and gulped down the remaining drink before he got to his feet. "The food is delicious Ammi, will you be cooking more for me, please?" He asked as he moved to the hand basin and washed his hand. One thing about Waleed, he was a neat freak and that had always made her smile. Because he reminded her so much of Alhaji Babba and she wondered how he would've been pampered if Alhaji Babba was alive.

"I will, Waleed. Now, give Ammi a hug and leave before Uncle Zaid gets tired of waiting." He walked up to her and hugged her as tightly as he had never hugged her before. And when he pulled away from her, Waleed smiled and motioned for her to duck her head to his height, and she softly chuckled before she did.

He kissed her forehead lightly and hugged her again. "I love you so much, Ammi. Uncle Zaid told me to be praying for you, even though he didn't tell me what it is, but I've begged Allah for you yesterday and I'm sure he answered it. Please don't cry, Ammi, okay?"