chapter 3: I am sorry

Beginne am Anfang

***Flashback concludes

That day, after the whole episode that went on in the cab, they found a place to stay, using the extra money her mother had always saved.

The rest of her cards had been blocked, leaving them with only a handful of cash.

When her mother fell ill, they had to give up that money, which was barely enough for them.

Due to that, they had to find the cheapest apartment in New York, which is why they ended up in this dump of a flat.

She had to do multiple jobs, just to ensure food was on the list.

The blasting of her ringtone brought her back to reality.

She blinked multiple times, as drops of tears fell on the floor.

She brought out her phone, which was in her pants, and she stared at her phone's screen before she answered.

"Hey, Chloe!" It was her friend calling from the cafe.

"Where are you, Lisa?" Chloe screamed over the phone. "I have been trying to reach you."

"I am sorry, I kept my phone in the kitchen." She said, wiping stray tears from her face using the back of her palm.

"Oh please, Lisa. We both know how small your apartment is. You could have heard your phone ringing in the bathroom, so don't give me that shit of a bull story. "

Lisa imagined her rolling her eyes at her. She knew Chloe only said it for her well-being, and not out of mockery. Yet it still stings to portray her apartment as small.

All her life, she had been brought up with influence and wealth.

She had been surrounded by people, who had always boasted about how big their houses were.

"Then I have no explanation to give you, Chloe." She tried to sound cheerful, but she knew she failed when Chole asked.

"Were you crying, Lisa?" Chloe sounds astonished.

"N–no?" She answered unsurely, as her thoughts ran a thousand miles a second.

"No?!" Chloe roared. "What happened?" She barked.

"I... it's nothing, you don't need to worry about it."

"Cut the shit out, Lisa." Chloe was livid. "You can't lie to me, and you can't say it's nothing when it does make you fuss."

Lisa stared blankly at the wall. Her expression was grave, her face red with how much she held her tears in.

"You know what?" Chole spoke when she heard nothing from Lisa, exhaling from her mouth, to dampen her anger.

"We can not discuss this, while on the phone. Get over here, so we can discuss it personally. I called to tell you that Mr Marcus was in, I would do my best to stall him. Simply hurry up."

Lisa held a faint smile. "I will."

"You better." Chole's stern voice rang through.

Lisa ended the call, before walking over to the sink to wash her face.

She didn't want anyone else to find out that she had been sobbing. Especially not her mother, since she was to visit her today.

She snatched her coat from the racket and took out her keys from her purse, and locked the door.

She walked down the creaky stairs, as fast as she could, running once she was out, to hail a cab.

"Martinez diner," she told the cab driver once she was in.

He nodded without a response and drove off.

Without even asking, the cab driver brought her to her workplace, rather quickly.

"Here." She handed him a handful of bills and rushed out, heading towards the restaurant.

She went in through the back entrance meant only for staff.

Once she ran in, she spotted Chloe, who was standing in a corner, with a scowl on her face.

"I am here," Lisa said, holding her knees, and breathing through her lips.

"You are late." Chloe deadpanned.

"I made it, didn't I? It's all that matters. " Lisa retorted.

"Not quite." A voice interjected, and it brought chills down her spine.

The scowl on Chloe's face deepened.

"M—Mr. Martinez." Lisa stammered as she stared wide-eyed at the old, potbellied man, as he walked toward them.

Something in her gut told her to run, as what would happen next, would not end well.