[30.1] Last Light

Much of Samodevia did not exist for its human inhabitants.

This was not the work of some great conspiracy, but a matter of survival. Lands where magic ran wild were rarely hospitable, given to anything from elemental anomalies to inconsistencies in the very flow of time. Valeri recalled a visit to one such realm vividly – a valley of fire suspended between two cliffs, appearing as but a sliver of space from the outside and stretching endless if one were to look within. The earth ran molten and the air was red, all within sight consumed by dancing flames.

Iavor had them wait at the side of the mountain path that passed by this unusual place for two nights. On the third, a fiery bird broke through the gap and soared into the sky, shaking off embers from feathers that glowed like the sun. It spun in a circle and then dove into the clouds, just to reappear again, like a child playing in a field of snow.

Valeri's understanding of Samodevia and his own existence expanded rapidly as he watched the creature's joyful flight. He had looked to Iavor, awaiting the man to speak of the purpose for their visit – the wisdom Valeri was meant to gather from the majestic sight before them both.

"Take a note of where this place lays, so you may avoid it in the future," Iavor told him.

Valeri's expression must have been strange. Iavor had certainly studied him with some bemusement before continuing his matter-of-fact lecture.

"The fat bird raising a ruckus is called a phoenix. Do keep your distance from its kind, they are skittish creatures with a vicious bite."

"As you say," Valeri had replied weakly.

That night, Valeri discovered two very important truths: One, Iavor Beaufort held very little appreciation for the more ethereal aspects of life. This conclusion was reinforced by several decades of cohabitation, during which ethereal happenings of all kind were reduced to their base components and examined without mercy. Valeri came to accept that his Sire possessed not an ounce of romance or interest in entertaining philosophical musings.

The revelation of Iavor's entanglement with a Hunter came as a bolt from the blue. How could a man who perceived a frolicking bird of myth as a clucking chicken fall into such a melodramatic role? It truly boggled the mind.

Two, it did not matter how powerful one was. There would always be something out of reach, someone who could force one to bow.

"What was the cause of the war?" Valeri asked.

The wind whistled in his ears, whipping the words away.

Zenith was a shadow flitting over the ground. His bulk had grown noticeably, the horse now large enough to accommodate both Valeri and Iavor without strain or even the need to crowd close, as two grown men sharing a saddle. Zenith exhibited not a hint of strain.

For the very first time, Valeri seriously considered the horse's origins. He wondered at his own nonchalance as well, the ease with which he accepted all that passed – as if he were but a bystander, a random passerby, rather than someone with a stake in the happenings in his own life.

Iavor let out a low laugh. "Did you not live through this particular time in history?" the man asked.

Valeri may have flushed, were it not for the cold wind and the lack of superfluous blood in his body. He had lived through the war between the Dvor and the Queen's Court – safe and sound behind the doors of Iavor's estate, taking interest in little beyond his medical studies. Had the conflict not ended with his Sire's death, Valeri may not have noticed the war's passing at all.

"There must be more to it," he insisted, blustering through his fluster, "It came too suddenly. You were taken by surprise, as well – I remember that clearly."