[4.2] Love Lost

Rae stifled a yawn. She opened her eyes wide, urging the lids to stay up. The dark elf standing at attention in front of her throne paused mid-sentence, caught by the strangeness of her expression. He recovered quickly enough. The inane recital resumed.

Carmen's amusement seeped through their bond. He was seated at Rae's right, as befitting his station. The seat to Rae's left was empty. Rae tried not to glare at it too openly. Xiang Yi was usually the one to preside over meetings with the Dökkálfar clans. Rae was reminded why as she listened to the Dökkálfar envoy list the Sixth Kingdom's monthly exports by province and kind. He had been on the task for well over an hour.

The man paused for breath. Rae spoke up before he could continue.

"Thank you, Master Quozor, for a most detailed report."

Quozor's expression did not shift from its stony set. "Your Highness, there are two mines not yet addressed."

"I have heard enough to surmise your intent. How many workers do you require?"

There was a pause. Rae's eyes narrowed, and she swept her gaze over the entirety of the Dökkálfar party. Three men, two women, all in light armor and leathers. They were stranded at the center of the Court, surrounded by a vast expanse of gleaming floors. The stone walls rose as high as the tallest point of the castle. Far above, a crystal ceiling reflected all within in shades of black.

"Two hundred men," Quozor said at last.

"A sizeable shortage," Rae noted. "I would know the cause."

Rae perceived the sudden tension in Quozor's body. Carmen's mind was quiet and focused beside her. She would ask for his observations when the charade was through. Carmen's eyes often caught things Rae's missed.

Quozor shifted in place. He widened his stance, as if bracing to shoulder some great weight. The men and women behind him were perfectly still.

"A portion of our workforce was decreed to tasks of greater importance to the state," the elf said.

"What tasks are of more import than strengthening the kingdom's economy?" Rae asked.

Quozor's eyes rose to Rae's for the first time since the man had stepped into the High Court. "Contributing to its defense," he said.

Carmen stiffened. Rae kept her expression calm with some effort. She needed to tread carefully. Her eyes passed over Quozor, taking in his companions. Not soldiers, Carmen told her. Not statesmen, either.

"What is your craft, Master Quozor?" Rae asked.

Quozor's expression slackened with minute surprise. "I am a bladesmith, Your Highness."

"A difficult trade, in a Kingdom that has been at peace for over a century," Rae noted.

"Weapons are always in demand." Quozor hesitated. The pause would be unnoticeable on another man, but the stilted silence fit poorly with the dark elf's precise manner of speaking. "Moreso recently," Quozor finished. His thin lips pressed shut, signaling the extent of his willingness to share.

He had already said enough.

Rae kept her voice steady and detached. "In terms of the workers you require."

"I would like to rescind my request," Quozor said.

Rae nodded, expecting as much. "Are there any other matters you wish to discuss with the Court?"

"No, Your Highness," Quozor said.

"Very well. You will be escorted to your lodgings. You may remain as long as you need," Rae told him.