Chapter 2

* * *

Months later Dawn had grown much. Her relationship with Ajax grew. Her body also grew physically. She became stronger and smarter as she had grown mentally as well. She excelled in all of her classes and she'd help her classmates from time to time when they struggled to keep up.

Eventually, they got individual dorms. Presumably, the children with new dorms were the ones who had been new arrivals.

Dawn had just walked into her new dorm when she heard a voice. "Dawn? What are you doing in my dorm?" Dawn turned to look behind her and say that it was Ajax who had spoken. She opened her mouth to speak when yet another voice came from behind Ajax. "You two will be sharing a dorm," A man stepped to station himself beside Ajax when he saw their startled faces. "Oh don't worry. There will be two separate rooms in one dorm. Two bathrooms, two beds, one main door, and two other doors for your rooms."

Dawn and Ajax thanked the man as he left. "So. what now?" Ajax asked as they stepped into the room.

"I don't know. Unpack our stuff, I guess."

Ajax nodded and they opened the doors and walked into their separate rooms.

Dawn's room had a large queen-size four-poster bed. Like the ones, you would see in Harry Potter. The ceiling was high and had the illusion of stars painted across it. It was as if they knew her. All her likes and dislikes. Loves and hates. The color scheme for the room was a mix of deep but soft mixtures of blues, and purples, and pinks. The colors of the galaxy.

Dawn put down her luggage and silently made a note to herself to unpack later. She walked over to the bed and gently lay herself down. It was soft and felt like you were settling down on a bed of clouds. They were much softer than the beds and sheets in the dark room she woke up in when she was first brought to the school.

It was like Hogwarts but bigger and more futuristic then the ones in the books and movies. There were more advanced technologies and lots of the professors there looked either anxious, frightened or scared most of the time.

Dawn lay in her bed in silence and looked up into the ceiling, her eyes darting here and there looking for different constellations every now and then. Not long after, sleep came washing over her like a wave crashing onto shore. Her eyelids fell heavy and darkness flood her vision.

(^人^)

A dark hallway. Fire everywhere. Bodies everywhere. People dead. Her parents gone. Their last breaths and pale faces. Her house engulfed in flames. Gray-ish almost colorless gas filling a mask over her mouth and nose. Screams. Loud, terrifying, blood-curdling screams.

"Dawn. Dawn. Dawn. Dawn!" Her father's face appeared calling her name. "Wake up. Wake up."

"Wake up!" A voice. Vaguely recognizable.

Heavy breaths heaved from her chest. She allowed her eyes to adjust to the darkness and saw the concern sprawled across Ajax's features with his large, strong hand holding her shoulders in place. The door was wide open. As if someone had burst into the room.

"Dawn, are you okay?" Ajax asked, concern laced like a braid, in his rough, half-awake voice. "You were screaming so I came to check on you."

Dawn was too scared. Her nightmare had really taken a toll on her partial mind. Her parents, home, village, the place she had grown to know. Her home. It was gone. It was all gone. All she had left was herself, her memories, Ajax, and the tiniest bit of the flame of hope left inside her heart. Her throat was dry. Words refused to take the freedom of leaving her lips. It was only then had she realized she was shaking until Ajax pulled her in for a tight hug to calm her down.

"Shh. It's okay. It's me. Your best friend," He quieted her whimpers and low whispers and mumbles whilst stroking her hair. "I'm here."

I'm here. Those were the last words her mum had told her before she died. A tsunami of tears resumed to cascade down her face as she choked out quiet sobs.

"Hey, hey. No, no, no. Don't cry. I'm here. I'm gonna stay here," Dawn was grateful for a best friend like Ajax. He was always there to comfort her during the nights she would randomly break downwhen they were in the old Sleeping Quarters. "I'll stay with you tonight, okay? So you don't have to be alone."

Dawn just nodded and lifted up the covers for both her and Ajax to climb in. Once they were comfortable Ajax opened his arms out for her to snuggle in closer to him. No words were said as Dawn silently moved herself closer to her best friend. Again, like a tsunami wave of serenity and sleep crashed over her. This time Dawn's sleep was full of dreamless nights.

A|N:

Hello, readers! Terribly sorry for the shorter chapter and the lack of updates. I started this story around a year ago and had writer's block for a LONG time. Plus school and that stuff. Anyway, hope you love this story so far and I WILL try to work on this story more.

Thanks so much! ~Akina