Chapter 9

I was grateful that Lissa asked me to come over and that we were getting time to just hang out. I was tired of having to spend all of my time with her shared with Aaron. If I didn't love her so much, I'd punch him in the mouth every time I saw him.

Lissa kept looking at me with a soft smile every so often. It got to the point where I sighed and dropped my pencil onto my sketchbook.

"What?"

Lissa shrugged and set her pen on her notebook, toying with the page of her textbook.

"Why do you hang out with Christian?"

"I don't," I said immediately, "Why do you think that?"

"Because he's come up to us twice without rhyme or reason?"

I raised my brows at her. I didn't want to say anything leading because I knew something she didn't. I wanted her to have the opportunity to learn all of this on her own. I think it would be better for her that way.

"What is the real reason?" I asked, folding my hands together as I lay on my stomach on her bed. Lissa pushed up so she was sitting cross-legged and sighed, running her hand through her hair.

"He's kind of cute," she said timidly, a blush rising to her cheeks.

I grimaced. "Um...no?"

Lissa gave me what I could consider a glare. "I think he is."

"And you have a boyfriend," I pointed out, wanting to see what her response would be. She frowned and bit the corner of her lip.

"I don't think things between us will last," she said quietly.

"Why?"

Lissa sighed and flopped back on her bed, bouncing the slightest bit with the force. Her arms hung out at her sides and she blinked up at the ceiling, still biting her lip.

"I don't know. I just don't think I'm in love with him anymore. He can be so boring sometimes and I hate how he talks about you when you're around or not. He doesn't want to do anything fun, and it's all about making out and having sex with him. I can't even think of the last time we went to a movie or out for dinner," Lissa explained. "I just feel like a decoration sometimes."

I frowned and looked down at my sketchbook, the face of the person who made me feel anything but looking up at me.

"If you aren't happy, don't force it," I said quietly, "When you find the person you're supposed to be with, you'll know. They make you feel like the most important person in the world."

Lissa turned her head and looked at me. "Is that how Dimitri makes you feel?"

I nodded. "Dimitri makes me feel like myself, but he treats me the way I want to be treated. It's similar to how my baba treats my mom when they're both home," I explained with a small smile.

Lissa nodded and sighed. "Am I wrong for breaking up with Aaron without having a valid reason?"

"Being unhappy is a valid reason. Saying 'I don't want to do this anymore, I don't feel the same' is a valid reason," I pushed, "Nobody can force you to be in a relationship you don't feel like being in anymore."

Lissa's brows were furrowed and she nodded her head slowly, looking back up at the ceiling. I knew that she needed a moment so I went back to my sketch. It was a little different but I couldn't get the image out of my head. He had been coming over in the evening, through the front door, and hanging out. One night we were watching a movie and Dimitri had reclined back, arm tucked behind his head with his eyes closed.

He wasn't asleep but he was relaxed. He looked so at peace that I could help but stare at him. I didn't want to come off as creepy, but drawing him out on paper like that was soothing. I would be able to see him for a few days because of some kind of trip with work.