Duel Of The Fates Part Two

Start from the beginning

Rose stopped the parade of captured officers as they were marched toward the door. With a movement so quick they couldn't even react, she ripped the bars off the leader's uniform. "You mind? I collect these."

Leia had to stifle a grin. She remembered all too well how it felt to be that young, that feeling of invincibility and optimism that youth afforded you before it's inevitably eroded away by experience and loss.

"General, what would you like me to do with them?" asked Connix, trying to get her attention.

Leia sighed. If their roles were reversed, the First Order would likely torture them for information before publicly executing them for high treason. But that's not how they did things in the Resistance. "Cook them dinner. They look thin."

The head First Order officer seemed to take great offense to Leia's mercy. "The punishment for your act of rebellion will be swift--"

His thought was finished for him when the door slid shut.

"Be happy we're nicer than the First Order!" Jason shouted.

Leia turned to her charges, a stern look on her weathered face.

"Scan the ship. This thing could be crawling with enemy troops." Referring to Poe especially, she added, "But our team didn't consider that, did they?"

Poe seemed oblivious to the censure in her voice. "Oh come on, tell me you never wanted one of these."

Leia gave him a look. Insufferable. Poe had come a long way as a future Resistance leader since he'd lost a fleet of bombers trying to take down a Dreadnaught just like the one she was currently standing in. But if a stunt like this was proof of anything, it was that he still had a lot to learn.

"Prepare for evacuation. We're leaving," Leia snapped, abruptly turning on her heels to walk off the bridge.

That seemed to get Poe's attention.

"What? Why?" he asked, catching up with her.

Leia stopped and wheeled around, pointing a finger in his face. "You stole a Star Destroyer!"

"I disabled their homing beacon," said Rose, stepping forward. "We're free and clear."

"Yeah, we're completely safe." Jason added.

"Would you bet your life on that?"

That silenced the three of them. They shared an uneasy look that told her they would in fact not bet their lives on it.

"Uhh, maybe?" Jason said weakly.

Looking over their shoulders, Leia noticed Rey standing alone at the main viewport, arms wrapped around her middle. Even from here, Leia could feel the misery coming off her in waves.

"Go," Leia dismissed Rose and Poe, finality in her voice. After they slunk off leaving Jason with her, she turned her attention back to Rey.

Rey was struggling with something, and Leia could only watch helplessly. For the thousandth time, she found herself regretting not teaching the girl herself. But she couldn't focus on Rey's Jedi training and lead the entire Resistance at the same time. But she still had Jason to teach her, so that was a plus.

"She's been like that, the whole way here." Jason said. "And I don't blame her."

"You should talk to her." Leia said. Jason didn't need to be told twice.

Rey was so lost in thought, she didn't hear Jason coming until he wrapped his arms around her from behind.

"You okay?" he asked, voice full of concern.