Duel Of The Fates Part Two

Resistance Base, Korilev

"Ben!"

A pair of blue eyes snapped open.

General Leia Organa gripped a stone wall, regaining balance.

Korilev was a planet strong in the Force, as the Resistance base whose walls she was leaning against was located in an abandoned Jedi temple that Rey and Jason had found through Luke's ancient Jedi texts. From this, Leia's already powerful connection to the Force was strengthened, and she found that she could sense her son's emotions if they were potent enough, no matter the distance between them.

The last time she had felt a rage from him so overwhelming and suffocating in its intensity was Crait, where she and the dwindling Resistance were very nearly consumed by it.

He was heading toward a precipice, a point where perhaps no one would be able to bring him back. But if Vader could become Anakin again, then Kylo Ren could become Ben. Her son was tempted by the light; she could sense it. But even if he never turned back the way Anakin had, she still loved him.

Collecting herself, Leia looked out the window in front of her, taking in the scene.

Korilev was beautiful, if a little cold. Trees surrounded the little clearing of their base, still green despite the light dusting of snow that covered everything. It glittered in the weak sunlight, almost too bright to look at.

Resistance members flitted to and fro, moving supplies and maintaining ships, all the daily duties that kept their base running.

Another quiet day courtesy of the galaxy-wide communications jam, courtesy of her dear baby boy.

Leia sighed. Even with no official word, she knew people were suffering throughout the galaxy, could feel it in her very bones. A wise and elegant leader, Leia had suffered more loss than a human can endure. But she remained a rock in a raging river. She'd lost a lot over her life, and this war would not be added to that tally.

As Leia ruminated on the hardships of war, she heard shuffling behind her, sensing a familiar presence. "Yes?"

"BRWWWGGHHGHGH!" Chewbacca replied. Leia turned. He had brought Lieutenant Connix with him.

"The team has returned, General," announced Connix, her tone hiding something.

"Mission accomplished?" inquired Leia.

Connix hesitated. "Not exactly."

She nodded toward the massive window. Leia turned, trying to squint past her own grizzled reflection. The grey hair was still a shock every time she saw it. Her hair was pulled back into a circlet of braids, and she wore a quilted vest over a brown tunic. Alderaanian jewelry always dangled from her earlobes, wrapped her wrists and fingers.

There, in the distance, past her reflection, something grew larger. Much, much larger.

"Is that....?" she trailed off as the massive Eclipse took shape, the X-Wing escorts looking like flies next to it.

Leia could hear the smile in Connix's voice when she replied, "Yup."

...

Leia stormed onto the bridge of the Eclipse as the First Order Officers were escorted out in handcuffs by Resistance soldiers.

"You are in strict violation of the Corellian Accords!" spat one as he was cuffed by a Resistance officer.

Poe leaned back in his seat and rested his dark boots on the control panel, a cocky grin on his face. He had already shed his disguise of filthy robes, revealing the beige long-sleeved shirt and khaki pants underneath. "Put it on my tab."