3. whats wrong

A week.

It's been a week since Paintbrush left their bed, only getting up for essentials. The artist didn't want to do anything but rot away. They had been crying their eyes out all week due to the passing of their father, barely speaking to anyone else except Yang and venting to him. Paintbrush heard a knock on their room door, they got up and assumed it was Fan, opening the door.

Paintbrush was wrong.

It was OJ.

"Heyyy Paintbrush!" OJ spoke "Hi." Paintbrush's voice was dead monotone "Oh, you don't sound too well, is everything okay?" OJ scratched his head, he usually didn't see Paintbrush like this "I'm...just a little tired." Paintbrush responded. "Have you been getting enough rest?" OJ expressed his words in concern. Paintbrush didn't want to do this now; talking with anyone was the last thing they wanted to do unless it was with Yang "I guess." Paintbrush mumbled; uncertain of what to say "Well that's good at least, Anyways..." OJ pulled out a paper "I just came to give you your rent bill." OJ handed Paintbrush the paper.

Rent, Bills.

Those words made Paintbrush mentally revolt in disgust, hearing about this made them even more stressed. "Thanks..." Paintbrush dragged out as they grabbed the paper "Don't forget to pay that bill!" OJ commanded as he walked away "Ok, I won't." Paintbrush mumbled and closed the door. "Why." Paintbrush mentally screamed; why did they have to get that now out of everything? They weren't even sure if they had the savings for it. Paintbrush looked down at the paper; quickly skimming over the unimportant details, "124.53$" Paintbrush looked at the total in horror "Fucking rent, and OJ." Paintbrush cussed to themself.

Paintbrush went to check their banking account, only to see they had 64.34$ left, that wasn't gonna cut it; they panicked wondering how they were gonna pay their rent. They thought to themself to do it later since it wasn't worth the workout now to try and get money. They opened their phone and looked at the time, they realized it was time to take their meds, Paintbrush glanced at the different types of medicine sitting on their dresser "This shit isnt working, I'm not gonna bother." Paintbrush told themself hoping they wouldn't regret it later on. They opened up their text app and went to text Yang, falling onto the bed on their side.

Paintbrush texted. "hey"

"hi!! whats up?" Yang replied.

"fucking oj i swear." Paintbrush continued.

"what is it with him now?" Yang questioned.

"rent, i dont have enough" Paintbrush texted back.

"i can help, i can pay for it!!" Yang returned.

"how much is it????" Yang added.

Paintbrush's eyes lit up.

"thank you yang, it means a lot i hope I'm not asking for too much but its 124.53$" Paintbrush responded gratefully.

"oh, i can def pay it without issue" Yang responded.

Paintbrush wondered why he had no issue with paying it, how much did he have? they just shrugged it off, he probably just had a high-paying job.

"i'll give it to oj and explain that you wanted to give him it so you don't have to go through the struggle, i know you're having a rough time" Yang added.

"ty" The artist spoke back.

Paintbrush turned off their phone and sighed with relief, that was one thing off their shoulders that they didn't have to deal with, they were happy that out of the kindness deep down in his heart; the most bastardly person they knew, Yang paid it for them. They were starting to like Yang, bonding and empathizing with each other over the past week.

Paintbrush's phone started vibrating.

It was a call from Lightbulb.

Paintbrush picked it up "Hi Lightbulb?" Paintbrush's voice groaned "Hii Painty!!" She excitedly spoke, "Hi, why did you call me this late?" Paintbrush said back "I just wanted to let you know about something and do a check-up on someone!" Lightbulb responded to their question "Lightbulb I'm fi-" Paintbrush was cut off by Lightbulb "Anyways! I got a job!" She exclaimed. Paintbrush wondered how the hell she got a job due to her nature; but now that was the least of their concerns, Paintbrush paused before opening their mouth over the phone "That's nice Lightbulb." Pretending to be excited.

"Anyways! other than that, is Baxter okay?"

Paintbrush paused in fear, they slowly looked at Baxter's tank and walked over to his cage preparing for the worst.

They looked down to see that Baxter was dead.

Paintbrush started sweating and hyperventilating on call, catching Lightbulb's attention. Paintbrush over the week forgot to take care of Baxter due to their depressive episodes. "Painty...?" Lightbulb was now concerned "Is Baxter okay?" She repeated herself.

Paintbrush hung up out of fear.

They threw their phone onto the bed and hastily walked out of the room, only hearing the phone vibrating again echo in their head on their way out. They didn't know where to head out at first but eventually, they went into the empty art classroom to calm themself down, sitting down on a stool.

"Maybe I'll work on something to calm me down." The artist thought to themself, grabbing some nearby scissors.