014| inside a russian base

❂❂❂

BRIAR CRANED HER NECK IN HER SLEEP, the ache was dull and irritating. It felt as though someone had deliberately pulled mussels out of place just to irk her even more than they had previously. Steve had gotten up before her with his determination to find some way out of the stupid Russian elevator they'd found themselves contained inside. She sat on her own listening to Clover recite her dream to Robin as though expecting the answer for escape to be somewhere inside.

Similarly to Steve, Dustin had clambered out the opening at the top of the lift earlier than necessary in order to blast his voice while talking into a walkie-talkie while he tried to reach some form of communication with the mall opening above them. Morning were always slow but Briar was silently sure that one in particular was going to be the worst morning she ever had. Maybe even the last she ever had.

Her mind was like a pit of snakes, hissing and twisting like anxieties as they ran wild over one another. What she needed was some words of assurance, maybe an ounce of hope and it wouldn't hurt to have Steve's arms around her again. But he strode around, jumping up and down from the small doorway in an attempt to look as though he was doing something.

Steve seemed to be trying to compensate for the fact he blamed himself and Briar felt guilt for a moment knowing that she'd blamed him too. But it wasn't Steve's fault they'd ended up trapped behind those stupid metal doors. They had all been naive in thinking they could ever stand a chance at getting to the bottom of some Russian conspiracy, especially without getting hurt.

"Is it just me or is it getting hard to breathe in here?" Robin asked as she paced around and stared at the walls.

"It's just you" Briar replied dully.

"I think it's the tight nature of negative thoughts" Clover replied with a smile, "we all just need to take a deep breath—"

"If it's getting hard to breathe what we don't wanna do is waste oxygen" Erica folded her arms.

"It's not getting harder to breathe" Briar snapped.

She was still rested on the floor with the back of her head uncomfortable against the metal. Briar was getting cold, there was no sense of warm down in whatever pit they'd fallen into. There was no jacket for Steve to lend her and certainly no way back up to the warm summers air. She wrapped her arms around herself, knowing that Robin was watching her with a concerned expression while she figured out how to escape. Briar was really hoping she got a move on.

There came the soft trailing of liquid from behind them and the four girls sat on the elevator floor turned in confusion to see the darkening of the stone wall behind the cardboard boxes. It took Briar a moment of confusion to realise it was Steve.

"Can you redirect your stream please?" Robin called in annoyance.

A second later Steve turned around but the noise remained and Briar rolled her eyes as she settled her back against a cardboard box as she messed with the laces on her converse for something to do, retying them tighter with the method of small bunny ears.

She was startled by a loud banging coming directly from her left, turning she saw Erica standing with a glass container of liquid in her hands. She was hitting it off the side of a table with a determined expression in her eyes. All three girls scrambled to their feet immediately.