"What does your wolf look like?"

"You'll find out soon enough." He sounded so certain that she would be seeing his wolf.

"Should I be afraid?" She didn't mean of his wolf. Harry sounded so sure about them as well. It was one hell of a mind trick because she was beginning to believe that they could make this work.

"I have excellent control of my wolf side, but even if I didn't, I'd never harm you."

Raina straightened her feet and snuggled deeper into bed. She was tired but she didn't want to end their call so quickly. Try as she might to stop it, a yawn escaped.

"You're sleepy. I'll call you again tomorrow night."

She wanted to argue, but he was probably tired as well. He'd been working non-stop to finish the remodel on the cabin. "Goodnight, Harry."

"Night, Raina. I miss you." It was weird, but she missed him, too. She felt the ache of anticipation at seeing him again. "You'll have dinner with me when I return."

"Maybe."

"That wasn't a question, baby."

▪︎▪︎▪︎

Harry removed the lettuce and tomato from his burger before taking a big bite. And gagged. He'd ordered it rare. This patty was decidedly well done. He chugged down half his glass of water to wash down the dry meat. Unfortunately, their dining choices were extremely limited and none of them wanted to cook after a hard day of work.

Sighing, he glanced up... and found his pack staring at him and ignoring their own meals. "What?"

He ran a self-conscious hand over his face, his palm meeting bristly beard. His facial hair was thick because he often didn't bother to shave when they were on a job. Even if he'd begun to wolf out in anger over the improperly cooked burger, he doubted it'd be noticeable.

"We just can't believe you're sitting here instead of with your girl." Isaac said.

"Yeah. If it was me, I'd be balls deep in—oomph!" Cedric glared at his cousin. "Don't kick me. If you want me to shut up, just say so."

Isaac rolled his eyes. "Shut up. That's his mate you're talking about. Do you want him to rearrange your face?"

"Still... why are you with us instead of her?" Mitch asked.

"She's human." Harry explained with more patience than he felt. What he wanted to say was that it was none of their damned business. But in a way, it was. He was their leader and who he chose as his mate affected them as well. "She needs time to grow accustomed to me. I couldn't give her that if I was too close. She feels the mating pull, but you know how humans are. They ignore their natural instincts."

Mitch shook his head as he picked up his knife and fork to cut into his steak. "I admire your patience." He held up a bite of meat and glared at it. "This is what they call rare?"

"I'm renting a grill." Isaac declared.

Cedric bit into his burger. "Why bother?" He mumbled around a mouthful of food. "We're almost finished here. All that pent-up sexual energy has Harry working day and night."

Harry's growl was cut off by the waitress coming over to check on them. Rather than complain about the overcooked meat, they all said they were doing fine.

She lingered longer than necessary, asking if they needed refills or if they had other requests. Harry figured she was attracted to Cedric, Isaac, or Mitch. They were all very popular with women. The faint scent of the waitress's pheromones reached him.