wilbur fanfic [finished, 2023, 'roanoke - farmers market']

|

"AND DON'T FORGET THE GARLIC, Y/N." said your mother, as she leaned against the wall watching you. "yes, don't worry mom. i won't forget the garlic," you chuckled and grabbed your bag from the coat rack, slinging it over yourself in one quick motion. you gave your mom a final wave before unlocking the door and exiting your home.

you halted for a few seconds on the porch of your house, reciting everything you needed to get while you were out in your head. bag of potatoes, tea leaves, garlic, and blueberries for at home. sugar, eggs, large bag of flour, apples, and fresh milk for the bakery. with a silent nod, you continued to walk, opening the fence gate and turning in the direction of neverburrow's farmers market.

-

the town got progressively busier as you reached the farmers market, people working and chattering about everything around you. on your way there, you walked past the imperial library, your mom's bakery, the entrance and guards to the roanoke kingdom (where the king and his sons live), and many more tiny shops that resonated here, the tiny town of neverburrow.

"hey y/n!" an older woman said, you knew her as mrs. lane. she smiled widely at you as she restocked her station, continuing to place fresh, vibrant apples on display. "hi, mrs. lane! how are you today?" you asked politely, walking over to her. "oh, just great, dear. thank you. how are you? how's your mom and your sister?"

"i'm great, and my mom and sister are too. i'll tell them you say hi," you responded, and she smiled wider than before. "i suppose you need more apples don't you?" she asked. "yeah, you know me too well, mrs. lane." you grinned slightly. she thought for a moment before looking around and coming in close to you, "i'll give you as many apples you want for free if you promise to get me one of those apple strudels your mom makes so well," she whispered to you with a wink.

you laughed. "okay, i promise to get you one of the apple strudels my mom makes so well." the smile on her face never falter once. "well then, go on! pick however many you want, dearie." she said, reaching for a paper bag that was laid out behind her before opening it and handing it to you. "to make your trip easier." she nodded. you smiled at her kindness and started a grabbing few of the colorful apples, placing them into the bag.

once you got enough of the fruit, you thanked her before stepping away. you mentally checked 'apples' off of your grocery list as you walked to the next station. "hello, mr. lovell!" you said, cheerfully. "ah, hello y/n. come for more tea?" mr. lovell said with a grin. "yes! specifically, the one i got before, my mom loved it. i think it was the herbal tea with rose," you spoke and he nodded.

mr. lovell nodded and glanced down at his tea supply before looking back at you. "lucky you, we have one left. it's a rather popular blend, so i'll keep in mind to save one for you and your mother next time i make it." he smiled and grabbed the bag full of herbal and rose tea before holding it out for you. "thank you!" you reached for it and then paid quickly. you waved to him before walking off.

"hi, mr. buckley," you said once you made it to his station, your eyes wandered to a chicken that sat on his table attached to a leash. that was new. he grinned at your reaction to the chicken on a leash before speaking. "well hello, y/n. how do you do?" he asked politely. "i'm good. how do you do?" you repeated his words, with a kind smile of your own. "i'm wonderful. this is mr. clucks, if you're curious. he's my granddaughter's chicken. she named him and all," he said, gesturing a hand to the animal before patting its head. "and i thought i'd bring him today."

"awww," you responded, as he looked at the chicken. you brought your hand up and gingerly pet mr. clucks. mr. clucks only clucked in response, which made you and mr. buckley chuckle. "he's lovely, mr. buckley-" before you got to finish your statement, he interrupted you. "no more mr. buckley. you know me enough to just call me peter."

you let out a sigh. "thank you, peter," you spoke with a small smile. "anyway, i'm sure you're here for some fresh eggs and not my granddaughters chicken," peter laughed slightly, "how many do ya need?" he asked.

"24, please. all for the bakery."

"oh yes, i'm always honored to be the egg supply for your mother's delicious bakery. where would this town be without it?" he hummed at the thought of freshly baked goods. mr. buckley was one to always show up when the bakery opened in the morning. he bought a warm scone and a coffee from the cafe next door.

"right," you said as peter handed you the eggs. you paid and spoke again. "anywho, thank you very much for the eggs. i hope you have a lovely rest of your day, and please tell your granddaughter i said hi." peter nodded his head at your words and you gave a final goodbye to mr. clucks before walking away.

-

the bag mrs. lane gave you was full of food now, the straps rested heavily on your arm. before you left the neverburrow farmers market, you made sure to triple-check everything you got, confirming you didn't forget anything.

on your trip home, you passed the many small shops around neverburrow and the roanoke castle, where you glanced at one of the guards that stood next to the large gate and he gave you a nod. then your moms bakery, and the neverburrow library.

when you got home, your mother was the first to greet you. she took the heavy bag off your arm and walked into the kitchen with it. "you got everything, y/n?" she asked for confirmation as she pulled out the eggs and began to put away a few items. "yes, i even triple checked." you replied and she nodded. "good, good. after this, do you want to take these down to the bakery with me?" she gestured to the eggs, "i'm sure we could get your sister to join too."

"sure."