4 rewritten

"What's he doing here?" Tyler asked, stopping his pacing for a moment to glance at Gabe.

Kinsey sighed, "It's a long story."

"Did you tell him about magic?" Bode asked, pulling away from the mirror. He had been staring into it, hoping to spot a glimmer of their mother beneath the surface.

Avery ignored her brother. "How did this happen then?" She demanded gesturing to the mirror.

"I found another Key so I went to the Well Lady. She told me it could let mom see dad again, so I tried to use it on her, but she went into the mirror instead."

Kinsey gritted her teeth. "I'm starting to think that this Well Lady might not be on our side."

Avery was sure she felt Gabe stiffen beside her. "Do you have any rope?" He asked Tyler.

Tyler nodded. "In the storage room, I think my uncle might have some, why?"

"Are you sure this will work?" Kinsey fretted.

Tyler shrugged, tightening the rope at his waist. "Not a clue, but it's our best shot."

Avery tied the other end of the rope to the corner of Bode's bed. "If you think it might fray, get back here as quickly as you can. Or give a tug if you need help."

Tyler nodded and stepped into the mirror. Its surface rippled, like movement in water, as he vanished beneath it. Avery stared after him, watching her reflection for any sign of Tyler somewhere in the mirror.

And then she heard it again. Whispers. Low, overlapping whispers. She glanced around at her siblings and Gabe, brows raised. "You guys can hear that...right?"

"Hear what?" Bode asked.

"Whispering."

His face lit up. "It's a Key! It's calling to you."

Avery shivered. She didn't like the sound, it made her skin prickle with nausea, it reminded her of old school horror movies and particularly haunting nightmares. Her hands seemed to slide to her back pocket, as though her body knew what she was searching for, even if her mind didn't. Her fingers curled against the lighter, pulling it from her pocket and holding it up to the light. Avery saw things she'd never noticed before. In the golden groves and carvings, all interlocked in a way she had once thought to be random; Avery now could make out a shape. A key, a key shaped almost like a flame. Her fingers trailed over it, nails digging beneath the grooves until with a satisfying click it fell free and the whispering ceased.

"There's a key in your lighter?" Bode asked, amazed.

A Fire Key. Gifted to her, of all people. It felt like a cruel joke of fate.

Avery turned it over in her palm. "I don't want it." She murmured, shaking her head.

"Put it back," Kinsey said softly, "it's the best way to keep it hidden, okay? Just leave it in the lighter for now."

Avery stared at the key, at the flame-like pattern. Either fate was against her, or Rendell Locke had a terrible sense of humour.

A ripple formed in the surface of the mirror, and a hand broke through. Tyler pushed Nina back through the mirror, into Bode's room, and stumbled out after her. He turned the key in the mirror and the stuffed it into his back pocket, as Bode embraced Nina.

"Oh my god, mom, I'm so glad you're okay."

Nina chuckled, hugging him back tightly. "Why wouldn't I be?"

Avery crinkled her brows, "But the mirror?" She trailed.

Nina looked the mirror over quickly. "Yes, it's nice, isn't it?" She bristled, pushing herself to stand. "We can get you one for your room if you'd like. I'll be downstairs."