Chapter 10

It's been one of those days for Winter.

Nothing major has happened but all the little things have accumulated and dampened her mood one by one.

Whiny, idiot clients who can't stay out of trouble, a late filing, the copier has gone on strike and to top it all off, she was reprimanded in court.

Loudly.

An embarrassment she hasn't had to deal with in a while that still stings when she thinks about it too hard.

Her phone buzzes on her desk and she almost doesn't want to check it in case it's another issue for her to tackle.

And honestly, she doesn't have much steam left.

When she picks up the phone and sees the waiting text, her mood lightens considerably.

Until she reads it and it sinks again.

KY: Wayne had an interesting story for me today...

Ugh, please... not you, too.

KY: Rough day?

One of those days. Even I am not immune.

KY: And here I thought Wayne was being dramatic.

Please. You know I thought he and I were on good terms, had a semi-decent working relationship and he fucking throws me under the bus.

Has he been taking extra sessions at the Liam Dickinson School for Douchebags?

Winter watches the three dots appear and disappear at the bottom for a moment before they stop altogether. She adds to her rant.

Maybe I should stop by. I could sneak in with a clever disguise, right? Liam would never notice and then I can actually kick him out the window like we dream about.

And then! Oh, you know I realize Judge Dean runs hot and cold with everybody but WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?

The three dots start again.

KY: Are you hungry?

It's not at all what Winter was expecting and the question takes her by surprise. She glances at the clock, it's just after six.

Yes.

KY: Meet me at the corner by the Wilder Building in ten minutes.

She doesn't even hesitate, not in the mood to sass.

Ok.

Xx

The evening sun is setting and the street is alive with people and the exhaust of rush hour. The humid air cools off with every inch the sun takes towards the horizon. It's one of those days, one of those moments, when Winter wished she smoked. Craving the reprieve and immediate tension release it would bring.

When she looks up the street towards the municipal building her eyes almost bug out of her own head.

Karina is walking towards her, a cool determined stride, legs for days peeking out of an emerald green dress. She walks with a steady purpose up the street, typing something out on her phone totally unaware of Winter's gaping.

The dress is professional, cap sleeves hugging her defined shoulders. A dip just wide enough for those collarbones to show, stopping just above her knee.

Hair loose and wavy, fluttering in the slight breeze. Brought to life even more by the sway of her hips.

And Winter's lungs constrict and her head feels fuzzy.

When Karina looks up, she spots Winter and a bright smile spreads across her face.

And, fuck, does she have to wear those sunglasses, too?