I don't think it's because they believe I can't take care of myself. They do it because they're concerned with how I'm feeling.

As much as I appreciate it and even enjoy their company, their presence is getting stifling. I really don't want to tell them that though, because they're the only people who know the exact horror and heartbreak I've experienced. My parents know, Keaton's parents do. Hell, even the whole fucking campus knows. But none of them have witnessed the days my mind goes dark or witnessed when I awake with a cry because my mind enjoys playing a fucking montage of Keaton and her.

It's been Amelia and Alek for the last two months and, for now, I don't want that to change.

After locking up the back and making sure I power everything down, I flip off the lights, grab my bag, and head out to Alek.

He glances up at the sound of my footsteps and smiles as he closes his laptop. "You ready, Lollie?"

I aim a vicious scowl at him when he uses that ridiculous nickname he's given me. "Why do you call me that? It's silly and makes no sense."

Once he has everything gathered, he stands and tweaks my nose. "Because you're sweet and cute, just like a lollipop." His eyes drop to my lips for a second and fill with heat. "Really, really sweet."

The look has my lips tingling, but since I'm not ready to process it, I ignore the feeling for now and tease him. "Are you going to take me home or stand there and flirt with me badly?"

Alek mock gasps as he grabs his laptop bag and suit jacket. "How dare you call my flirting bad. I practice these smooth moves in front of a mirror daily."

I pat his head when I walk past him to hold the door open. "Might need to work on it some more then, buddy."

****

The ride to my apartment is filled with the familiar banter between us before it eventually switches to my job ventures.

"I'm still waiting to hear from a couple of them," I reply when he asks me about the places I've applied.

"Eh, we both know you'll get a call back. You have experience in your field and you graduated with a bachelor's degree. Have you thought about Grinder's?"

"What about it?"

"Buying it. Toby mentioned something about thinking of selling. I'm sure he'd sell it to you for a reasonable price, or at least work with you on buying it."

That's something I've never considered before. I don't know how I could make it work, though, if I wanted to. I have a tiny nest egg saved up, but it's nowhere near enough to buy a business.

Is that something I even want to do? Buying Grinder's would mean having roots here. I already have that with my parents because I grew up in Granite Bay, but I've always had the option to leave if I wanted to. Keaton, Amelia, and I had planned to open a business here together, but since he cheated on me, I don't know if I want this city to be my home base anymore.

"Doing that would mean being stuck in Granite Bay. I'm still not sure what I'm doing yet," I reply quietly.

"Did you apply for any jobs outside of Granite Bay?"

"One or two a few towns over, but most have been here."

"What about where I work? Did you apply for the marketing manager position we have open?" Alek asks.

"Of course I did. It was the first one."

GB Acquisitions is one of the biggest companies in the state. A job there would look amazing on my resume. I just don't know if it's a smart idea to work in the same place as Alek.