Chapter 8a: La Familia

Start from the beginning

Adira pressed her lips. "Of course not." She smiled thinly. "I should go, see to the arrangements. Wouldn't want anything to go wrong. Again."

She turned away to leave, the hurt clear in her hazel eyes that made Kabir curse himself for inflicting due to a slip of his tongue. "C'mon baby, you know I didn't mean it like-" His words were cut of by the banging of the door making him bite his tongue, and he flinched "- that."

He ruffled his hair in frustration. "Dammit!"

********

Closing the door with a bang, Meera fell on her bed. Rolling to her side, she hid her face with her blanket and whimpered in self pity, reliving what could only be her most humiliating moment to date. She felt the first hand, second hand and all levels of embarrassment and was planning on never leaving her room. Ever!

However, her plan was short lived when not five minutes later, she heard a knock. Groaning, she pulled the blanket down and glared at whoever was on the other side of the door, wishing that they'd leave.

But whoever it was was pretty incessant. She huffed, stumbling down the bed onto the carpeted floor and trudged towards the door, opening it with a scowl.

"What," she snapped.

The young woman in her maid's uniform looked taken aback. "Good evening, miss," The girl greeted her in a meek voice, wary of her.

Meera nodded and greeted back, feeling guilty for snapping at her. She was taught to always be nice to the staff. "What is it," she asked, this time in a softer tone.

The woman hesitated, probably not used to seeing the young miss so disheveled but was polite enough to not comment on anything. Not that she would dare to voice out her opinion on anything that went around in this house for the sake of her job.

Meera gave her a pointed stare which prompted her to speak.

"Uh, Adira Ma'am wanted inform you that Mr. Raichand's family is coming for Dinner. She wanted you to get ready by seven."

Sameer had already warned her of that today but still Meera couldn't hide her sour expression at the news. She was having the worst day possible and did not need this added misery.

She sighed.

One evening with the whole family would be enough to push her over the edge. And short of locking herself inside and throwing a tantrum like a child, she had no other way avoid this ordeal.

So, accepting her defeat, she grumpily plodded back to inside and did what any sane girl would do when the whole universe seemed against her.

She opened Spotify and connected it to her Alexa before sifting through her playlist until she found the right one- 'Taylor Swift songs to make you cry.' She sat on the bed and waited, with crossed arms and puckered lips until she felt the urge to cry again.

She sniffed and laid down, the music still blasting from the speakers, and closed her eyes.

People coped with their overwhelming emotions in many ways. Some fought, some cried, some screamed until their voice turned hoarse, some started playing the blame game.

Meera's coping mechanism was a little different. See, normally when she was upset, which happened often because she was a sensitive soul but not too often, she cried. But when things got too overwhelming for her, her mind would start begging for a reprieve.