"You think the whole school doesn't know where you came from?" He takes a bold step towards River, nothing but a challenge in his eyes. "You come from nothing but people who didn't want you. Rumor has it this is your, what?" He looks back at his friends. "Fifth foster home? Do you think a girl like that will want to stick around? I give it another month before she realizes what she missed out on."

The tether snaps, and whatever was holding River back completely breaks. He lunges for loafer-boy, tackling him down onto the pavement. I watch as his fist connects with his jaw, cheek, and nose.

Hit.
Hit.
Hit.

I blink a few times before it truly sinks in what's happening. The friends of loafer-boy kick River in the ribs, and the image of it sends a wave of anger straight through my bloodstream.

I curl my hand up into a fist and deck one of the friends straight in the mouth. My hit is strong, and the guy stumbles back, clutching the side of his face like he can't believe a girl hit him.

"River, get up!" I scream. "Get off of him! Let's go!"

I see an employee grab a phone inside the diner, sending frantic glances out the window as she presses it to her ear. She's calling the police.

I'm eighteen now.

I'm not protected by the system.

River's voice floats throughout my head as he pummels Loafer-boy's face with his fists. Blood is all over the concrete, and his friends try pulling River off him.

He elbows one of the friends in the rib cage as they tug him to his feet, the other one punching River straight in the center of his nose. Blood oozes out onto his t-shirt, and everything is happening so fast that I can't even process it.

Loafer-boy is unconscious on the pavement. And although the diner is empty because of the snow day, I don't want to attract more people to the scene than we already have. I should call an ambulance. I should do something to help him, but the only alarm in my head is to keep River safe and away from the police.

I can't let him get in trouble. I can't let him destroy the life he's so desperately wanted. He has a good home with Tracy and Steve. He can't ruin it.

Digging deep, I let my voice rip out like it never has. "River!" I scream, his head snapping over to me, out of his trance. He looks down at loafer-boy, at the mess he created, regret seeping into him all at once. "Get in the fucking car now!"

I throw my side of the car open, and River sprints to the passenger. "He's going to press charges!" one of loafer-boy's friends screams. "You're a fucking idiot!"

As I race out of the parking lot, my tires squeal on the pavement. I'm panting heavily, unable to catch my breath as my hands shake aggressively on the steering wheel.

Did he kill him?

Is loafer-boy dead?

The cop cars with their sirens on whiz past us to get to the scene, unaware that the criminal they're looking for is beside me. River glances in the rearview mirror at the flashing lights, letting out a loud, shaky breath as he sinks more into the seat.