Chapter 5

Zeus -pov

"Zeus wake up, today is the day of the banquet. You have to get ready". Said Beta Hephaestus. I could feel him looming over me, how dare he. I growled in irritation, he flinched ever so slightly and took a few steps back. "Please your highness you need to wake up. I will come back in a few minutes with something for you to eat and drink". he said as he left the room.

I didn't want to go to the banquet, every year I hope that I would find my mate but it never happens. I watch as people from around the Americas find their mate and I am left alone over and over again. My heart aches every year and my wolf Hades becomes more and more angry. This year will be no different, just be another disappointment.

I could feel Hades getting restless and he request for us to go for a run. I got out of bed and went to my balcony. The sun had just risen and the forest looked so inviting. I jumped off the balcony my bones cracked and my body quickly moved into place to form my midnight black wolf as I landed perfectly on the damp grass.

Hades is massive, 3 times the size of a full grown male wolf. Our eyes are navy blue with flecks of gold in my wolf form. I allowed him to take over and run as he pleased. We ran fast across our land, feeling the wind ruffle our fur, the damp ground beneath our paws, the feeling was invigorating. Hades sniffed the air with delight. "I can sense her Zeus, she is coming. We will find our mate tonight". He said with such confidence that it left me silent. A moment later we turned around to head back before my cousin, Beta Hephaestus started to nag at me again about getting ready. I was kinda rough with him earlier but I am not a morning person and I wasn't looking forward to the banquet until just now.

I returned to my room in my wolf form to find my dear cousin with his arms folded across his broad chest and tapping his foot. He stood at 6'1 with dark chocolate skin, blue eyes, and neat dreadlocks that went down to the top of his shoulders. "Zeus, I was hoping that you had showered, not gone for a run". He said with his eyebrow raised, Hades was still in control so he growled and showed his teeth.

Hephaestus whimpered, lowered his head and knelt on one knee in respect. "Forgive me Hades, please my Liege we must prepare for tonight". He said in a low and respectful tone. Hades nodded his head and allowed me to take control, I shifted to my human form. My bones cracked and moved to reshape my body, my long fluffy black hair seemed to disappear as my body grew to a standing potion.

As I stood there naked Hephaestus looked away, stood up and handed me some shorts, I took them and walked to the bathroom instead of putting them on. "Meet me in my office in 15 minutes, with a sandwich Haffy". I said walking into the bathroom and closing the door. I walked into the shower and washed myself clean. I thought about what Hades said earlier about us finding our mate tonight. I pondered the thought and wondered what our mate would look like, smell like, would she be strong, and from a good bloodline. The more I thought, the more excited I felt, deep in my heart I wished that Hades was right and we would meet her tonight. I could feel Hades smile inside my head while he settled in a corner to rest.

After taking a shower I went to my office where I found Haffy waiting for me with the sandwich I had asked for and a cup of apple juice. I took a seat behind my desk and gestured for him to also take a seat as well. "Haffy, I am sorry about this morning my friend. I woke up in a fowl mood, you know I don't like going to the Winter Banquet". I apologized, he nodded his head with understanding. "However, this year will be different; Hades swears that he could feel our mate on her way to our grounds" I stated plainly.

Hephaestus immediately stood up "What, did he really? How could he feel her from so far away"? he asked the very same questions that I had asked myself. I gave him a serious look and he returned to his seat. "I don't know but I trust Hades completely and if he said that he could feel her, then I believe him". I replied with no hesitation. "How do we proceed Sire?" He asked, I smile appreciating him for being ready to do anything for me and for being my best friend. "Nothing Haffy, we will just have to wait and see how the night plays out" I replied.