thirty-nine

billie

the next morning, i woke up to an empty bed, which made me frown. i then whined as i realized how much my head hurt. i laid in bed for a few moments as i pouted.

i got up after a while, and i walked to the bathroom. i did my business, brushed my teeth, then looked through the cabinets to find some pain medicine. once i did, i walked to the kitchen to get a glass of water.

after i took the medicine and washed the cup i used, i walked back to juniper's room. on the way there, i looked through the windows to the back porch, and i saw that junie was outside. she was sitting in the rocking chair, scrolling through her phone. i hesitated, before just continuing on back to her room.

when i got back to her room, i went to her closet and got a pair of her sweatpants, because it was a bit cold this morning. i then looked around her room, and i saw that she had put my phone on charge, which i was grateful for.

i unplugged it, then went to the corner of the room where she had the giant teddy bear that i had won for her at the fair. i sat down, and i laid my head against it as i scrolled through my phone.

after about thirty minutes or so, juniper walked into her room. i turned my phone off as i looked over at her. she glanced at me as she walked over to her bed.

"i didn't know you were up."

i shrugged in response. i watched as she took a seat on her bed facing towards me. we kinda just stared at each other. neither of us said anything.

"are you still mad at me?" i asked quietly.

she exhaled a deep breath, and she looked over at her window. "i don't know. i mean... yeah. like i said last night, i don't think i'm expected to be happy when you show up here, drunk, at two in the morning."

"i just wanted to see you," i mumbled.

"yeah, well, you can see me when you're sober," she said pointedly.

i frowned. i stared at the side of her face as she continued to look out the window, and we both went silent again. i pressed my nails into the palms of my hands.

"i wish you would've at least told me that you were going to a party last night," she looked back over at me.

my brows furrowed a bit, and i got defensive. "i didn't know i had to tell you everywhere i went."

"billie, you know that's not what—" she started to say, but then stopped herself as she let out another, deep exhale.

"do i know that's not what you meant?" i tilted my head. "because it really seems like that's what you're trying to say."

"it's not."

"no, it's fine," i said. i pulled my phone out, and i unlocked it. "here, since you wanna know my every damn move, put life360 or some shit on there."

she flinched as i tossed my phone onto the bed, near where she was sitting. "calm down," she narrowed her eyes. "i don't want to know everywhere you go! i just want to know when you go to parties. anything could fucking happen there, and if you don't tell me when you go to one, then i can't help you if something does happen to you."

"nothing happened. i'm fine!" i huffed.

"something could've happened though, especially when you were drunk out of your mind!" she threw her hands up.

"why do you even care that i drank? everybody drinks! it's not a big deal!" i said exasperatedly.

"it is to me!" she said incredulously.