Chapter 22: The One Without A Car

Start from the beginning

I hug his free arm to me; "You made the best choice you possibly could have. Inshallah Areeb will make me happy. You'll see."

He kisses my head softly, then makes a move to put his Tea mug down, but stares it for long minutes instead.

"What's wrong?" I narrow my eyes, he is usually annoyingly nit-picky about his Tea's color, taste and temperature.

"Nothing. Just realized that pretty soon, you won't be around to bring me tea anymore." He frowns at his cup.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

"Everything's about the Tea isn't it?" I end up doing a little bit of both.

"Damn right it is"

............

Ali took off with my car, and left an empty tank in his own car. If it hadn't been for an emergency at his office, I would have totally kneed him where the son doesn't shine. As it were, I was stranded at home with no way to pick up my dress from the designer's place. I was worried that if I didn't pick up the order today, it might be too late to try it on, and check out the fitting and such, before the ceremony.

I debated calling Adiba, but she was already swamped with work from Ghauri. I had pleaded a couple of days off from work, so my best friend had stepped in and shouldered some of my own work.

Mom and Dad were visiting the caterers today for the payment and stuff. I could grab a Taxi or a Rickshaw I suppose, but I hated traveling in public transport by myself. So now I was stuck at home with the dragon. Hmm maybe she could take a rickshaw with me.

I find her dozing in a chair; cane clutched tightly in her claws. I give her a tiny nudge. "Kulsoom Nani?...wake up." I whisper.

"I SAID NO MORE SUGAR!" She yells, causing me to stumble backwards.

Soon, she overcomes her sleepy disorientation. "Hmmph, what do you mean by going around watching people nap girl? downright creepy it is." she glares at me.

My jaw falls. She watched me sleep not two days ago....crazy old lady.

"Well then what do you want?" she grumbles.

"Umm, I need help picking up my dress. I was wondering if you could come with me. There's no car at home right now, so I'm thinking of taking a rickshaw....."

"Non sense. I don't travel in rickshaws. Most unreasonable vehicle ever made. We'd be in constant danger of it overturning with the weight of my personality dear."

EMV is rolling her eyes like crazy.

"Ahaan....what about a cab then?"

"Hmmph, why on earth would we take a cab, when we can take MY car?"

"YOU HAVE A CAR?"

She snorts; "DO you think I walked from my house to here?....I'll tell my driver to bring around. He hasn't been earning his keep all that much for the past few days."

....

I. Am. Speechless.

Her car is a beauty. She owns a Lexus. A FREAKING LEXUS. Gleaming black, and spotless. I think I may be drooling. Sometimes, I forget how filthy rich my relative is. Her penny pinching attitude tends to make us forget that.

The dragon smirks knowingly at my expression; "You were expecting an old lady's car weren't you?"

"I was expecting a broomstick." I whisper.

"I heard THAT."

"Oh you were meant to." I shoot back.

"Hmmph. I do like that tongue of yours."

My dress fits like a dream. I feel like a fairytale princess wearing it. Everything about the stunning ensemble is just perfect. I should be ecstatic about it right now. But my mind just won't quit worrying about Shehzer, and the fact that he was roped into accepting an invitation to my engagement.

That night, on the eve of my engagement party, I lay awake in bed thinking about all sorts of impossible things that I should say to Shehzer.

I end up texting him;

Me: Hey, You don't have to come tomorrow if you don't want to.

His reply comes after a while.

Shehzer: If you don't want me there, just say so.

Me: No. I didn't say that. I do want you there.

EMV is tearing out her hair right now; 'WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? You DON'T WANT Him THERE' she screeches at me.

Shehzer: Then I'll be there. :)

Me: Shehzer....I am so sorry.

Shehzer: What do you want me to say to that?

Shehzer: That you should have told me the truth?

Shehzer: That I hate the fact that he beat me to you? Or the fact that I wish you'd still pick me? Will it make a difference?

Oh. My. God. I moan in anguish. Everything is going crazy in my life, ever since he came.

Me: ......

Shehzer: I thought so....

Shehzer: If you're happy with him. Then I guess I can learn to deal with it. So I guess I HAVE to be there. I need to see you two happy together. For my own peace of mind...I don't know if it makes sense to you.

Me: It does. It makes sense.

Shehzer: Well then you better get some sleep now. :) big day ahead of you tomorrow.

A/N:

Hello all you lovely folks.

:)

Just wanna say that seeing your comments makes me laugh my head off. :D You guys are so vested in the story, it's adorable. <3

As usual...DO let me know what you think. I'd like to laugh some more. ;)