Chapter 16 • Spy

Start from the beginning

"Weel, I should have!" he burst, knocking his chair over as he jumped up, mildly aware of her flinch and shocked expression, "I should have done something! I ken I have made enemies, I ken there are people who would rather me dead. But I let myself get comfortable within these walls and look where it's gotten us - my mother and my wife have both been harmed! They could have very easily taken them from me!"

"Why are ye shouting?" a small voice croaked from behind him, causing everyone to freeze, "Can a lass no' recover in peace in this keep?"

Alasdair turned around, elation filling his whole being, and was rewarded with the most beautiful blue eyes fixed on him. Her weak frown morphed into a wee smile as he knelt beside her.

"Lily!" he breathed, pressing a kiss into her hand.

Relief washed over him. He felt as if a two ton burden had been lifted off his shoulders and he could breathe again.

He may have put her in danger, but he will not make the same mistake again.

After everyone expressed their relief at her waking, Alasdair asked for a moment alone with his wife.

"Aye, let's go, everyone," Fergus started waving everyone out, "The poor man can only keep it in so long without getting antsy and I'm pretty sure yer innocent eyes would no' want to witness that." He ended by wiggling his eyebrows suggestively at Keeva who just glared at him, along with Alasdair and Keir.

"Such a dirty mind..." Keir mumbled more to himself as everyone filed out of the room.

Once they were alone, Alasdair looked down at Lily. Her pale cheeks were burning crimson, at which he smirked, and her previously dull blue eyes were the lovely Forget-Me-Not shade he had come to love, at which he melted.

They shared a comfortable silence for a moment until Alasdair broke it with a whisper, worried his voice would not hold, "I was so scared I was going to lose ye."

She smiled at him with care in her eyes, placing her dainty white hand on top of his comfortingly, whispering back, "I'm still here."

"I ken and I'm grateful," he acknowledged quickly before continuing slowly with meaning, "But I was so. Scared." Alasdair watched Lily's expression intently as he continued after a moment's pause, being fully aware of the vulnerability in his voice, "It's no' everyday that I almost lose the woman I love."

Lily's brilliant eyes darted from their hands to his eyes, her mouth parted slightly. Alasdair anxiously assessed her reaction. She looked hopeful and... happy?

It was hard to tell by the tears filling her eyes and the smile tugging at her lips.

"Weel, m'laird," she spoke as a stray tear spilled over her cheek, purposefully using his title with a cheeky grin, "I hate that ye were put in that situation, I would never want the man I love to experience that again."

Warmth filled him and swirled in his chest and he was sure he had the daftest smile on his face, but he didn't care - she loved him, too!

This was what he had hoped and prayed for, meeting and falling in love with a lass.

A sudden thought burst his thanks-giving moment.

"When will ye learn to use my name?" he reproved her playfully.

"When will ye teach me properly?"

He pressed a loving, gentle kiss on her lips, still as soft as ever, and she eagerly returned it. His hand roamed from cupping her face, down her neck, to her good shoulder as their kiss became more passionate. As much as he wanted her, he could tell by her kisses that she was dead tired. He reluctantly broke their kiss, pressing one into her forehead before smirking at her cute disappointed expression, "There'll be plenty o' time fer that later, my love. Rest now."