three

T H R E E

T H R E E. | October 9th, 2021.
Chucalissa, Mississippi.

The place was grounded with concrete like floors that were beige colored, with walls that mirrored them. The interior lights were dim, making those walls appear darker at times. That only explained what a personal room would look like however. The hallways that were exposed to the public, along with the lounge room were filled with brightness, and things that were the complete opposite of what was truly within. It reminded Keyshawn of her life and how it was once, hitting her deeply.

It was one of the main reasons why she despised having to be placed into a rehab center. She was thankful enough that she was able to circle around being locked up at the place 24/7. She wasn't required to be at the center at all, but that's if she didn't want joint custody of her kids. She yearned for her kids every day, only being able to think and pray for their safety and wellness. She couldn't help but to think that it wasn't at its best though, especially with them being at the hands of their father. Knowing that, it kept the woman motivated and more than willing to do what it took to get them back in her full possession.

Today was one of her visit days, which required for her to be back at the facility. She wasn't familiar with the faces that stayed there for good, but it seemed to have been the opposite for those faces. They knew very well of her, as Keyshawn knew of their gossip.

She refrained from retaliating to it. She couldn't get distracted, as she knew what the end game to all of this was. It didn't stop her from speaking about it however. She confided in Tara, who was the main manager at the rehab center. She was a long time friend with Uncle Clifford— their value in friendship lead to them making a deal, with Tara letting Keyshawn off from residing at the center for more than she was suppose to.

"...That man strolls around here often. More than usual. Tito told me that when he was runnin' back the cameras 'round here." Tara informed Keyshawn. The two were talking about Derrick, who was the common denominator in why things were the way they were set up in Keyshawn's life.

" Not only that, but that damn social worker calls around here more often too. Always wanting to talk to you and shit."

"Hm, I wonder why..." Keyshawn says, rolling her eyes. "I can imagine what kind of bullshit she's gonna be askin' me today."

" Let her ask you whatever. You know what to do miss lady. Don't break. Don't let them see, hear, or feel you do that. That's what they want. You keeps it on together na'." Tara encouraged. "You been doing it these last few weeks. I just know she be tryin' you every so often. Hell, it pisses me off just hearin' her."

" Hm, she sure do. I don't know how I deal..." Keyshawn spoke, sighing as she reflected.

"Trust, they'll get tired of you not breakin'. It's gon' cause them to break, and do some stupid ass shit."