She remained silent until she sat down beside me, letting her gaze follow mine. A heaviness spread in her that mirrored mine. Something light made it shrink, however. But I couldn't latch onto it.

It wasn't enough.

"Dante had a good night. He barely had any nightmares. We ate breakfast together today and he even smiled when I told him about how physical therapy was a greater pain than having my leg crushed in the first place." Kendra's voice carried a hopeful tone, and she seemed genuinely happy about her promised's improvement. Dante had been struggling especially hard since his twin's death.

"He made the suggestion to migrate south. He doesn't want to live here, where everything reminds him of..." Kendra trailed off and I knew what she meant. Reagan felt the same way.

"So, we're probably going to pack our things and head out to Zardae in a fortnight."

I furrowed my brows. "Why Zardae?"

"Because, the east is politically unstable. Dante says there's going to be another civil war in Ior'Gea soon that might affect the countries bordering it. The north is out of the question, since they have very specific ways of life and don't welcome foreigners. They're worse than the council." She chuckled. "I'd be too much of a sore thumb sticking out, apparently, especially since the shifters up north aren't wolves either. Strange folk, in short. Everything south of the Jade Mountains is also populated by humans mostly and Zardae is such a small place down west that Dante and I can start new there. It's mostly inhabited by humans too, but it's not far by flight from Everett Valley. That way we can visit my family from time to time."

I turned my head to Kendra and saw that her sights were still set on the fields in front of us. Her leg was still wrapped in bandages, but the cast had come off a few days ago. She'd shattered her femur during battle, and it took a really long time for it to heal properly. She was lucky that there were healers amongst the dragons who were capable of mending the bone enough that it could regrow itself without deformation. 

She would never walk the same again, since the regrowth hadn't gone perfectly, but she was lucky to still have a leg to walk on. She had nearly died of blood-loss but was found in time. Nursing her back to health had been a good distraction for Dante.

"Sounds like the both of you have figured things out," I said, not displaying much emotion. I was happy for her—but for some reason, happiness wasn't something that came easily. Not since Xenon had told me that he'd witnessed my mother die. Not since Dante's twin died, to save Reece and me. 

Not since so many had died. It was as though by being remotely happy we were betraying their memory. 

"Yeah, we do. Reagan told me that you're thinking about leaving, too?" 

Kendra and Reagan had grown closer since the war. Apparently mine and Dante's reaction to what had happened were similar to each other and they both struggled with figuring out how to best deal with us.

It hadn't been easy for anyone.

"We've been thinking about building us a home around Thalassa Lake. I don't want to go beyond the Denhid Forest anymore. I don't think I'd do well  trying to blend in with humans."

Kendra nodded at that. "Yeah, seems like a good idea. I think you'd be happier being around family."

Raising my brow, I wondered what else Reagan had shared with her.

"Reece finding Leona feels like the only good thing that happened through the war. Reagan told me that the two of them along with Xenon, Emmet and Cora will be joining you?"

I nodded.

"I can't be without Reece or Emmet," was the only thing I said.

"You shouldn't be, either. I'm sure they'll be great uncles," Kendra said with a smile, nudging my side with her elbow. That made a ghost of a smile appear on my face.