Challenges

After receiving the letter from the Master, Urokodaki and I had a talk. We decided it would be best to prove that Tanjiro and Nezuko did not pose a threat to humans or the Demon Slayer Corps. So, I took Tanjiro and Nezuko and we traveled to the headquarters.

Upon arriving, the siblings were tied up, I presume it was so they wouldn't cause harm. We were escorted to the garden where, to my surprise, the rest of the Hashiras stood waiting. Once I walked in they all turned to look at me and the demons I had brought.

As normal Iguro was up in the tree acting as though he were truly a snake. Rengoku, Uzui, Kocho, Shinazugawa, and Himejima were all talking to each other, probably about why they were there. Tokito was looking up at the stars, which did look lovely.

"My, my Tomioka-san, are those demons you have with you?" Kocho asked as I stood there quite awkwardly. I simply nodded seeing no need for further communication. Everyone was either too stunned to speak or thinking things they should not speak about because no one said anything afterward.

I took that moment to turn back to the siblings and in a hushed tone I said, "These are the other Hashira, I believe Urokodaki has told you about them?" They nodded in response, not being able to do much else because of the muzzles in both their mouths. Urokodaki and I had decided since they were worse with new people we should be cautious.

"Good, all I need you both to do is be normal. Don't attack even if provoked, and don't do anything rash. Also, once the Master comes out you are to bow like the rest of us." The siblings nodded at me affirming that they understood.

From where I stood I could hear the other Hashira talking. They were mostly talking about how the siblings and I were going to be executed.

"The Master has arrived." As soon as this was said we all got in a line and bowed down to the Master. "So good of you to come, my children." The Master spoke as he made his way out.

"Good evening, everyone. The weather is quite nice today. It pleases me that we've all made it on such short notice." The Master said.

"I am pleased to see you in good health, Master. I fervently pray for your continued good fortune." Mitsuri greeted the Master. In response, the Master said, "And to you all as well. Now, I suppose everyone knows why you all are here today?"

We all nodded, it was quite obvious with the two demons currently sitting amongst our ranks. I looked at the siblings who seemed to be quite nervous. Which I guess was only fair after all they were with multiple people who could easily kill them.

"Giyu, from what I have heard you currently have two demons with you. Is that correct?" The Master asked me. "Yes, Master," I responded. I did not want to have to talk more than I had to knowing that most of the meeting would solely be about me and the siblings. "Giyu, you are aware that housing a demon is against the Demon Slayer code, correct?" the Master spoke, I affirmed his knowledge.

"Then, might I ask, why did you take these demons into your custody?" the Master asked calmly. The true reason was not one that I was going to share with the rest of the Hashira so I deflected the question, "I firsthand witnessed how harmless these siblings are. They have been living with the former water Hashira Sakonji Urokodaki, for the past year and a half and have not once eaten a human being. I believe they have no harmful intent and could be very useful to add to the ranks of the demon slayers."

The Master nodded and thought for a moment, he then asked, "What might these demons add to our ranks?" I quickly responded, trying to get this over with as soon as possible, "With a demon's stamina and regeneration ability, it would greatly help our ranks in battle. Along with their demon blood art which could offer even more of an edge in battle." The Master nodded. "May I also give this to you Master?" I asked, the Master nodded and so I gave a letter to the twin closest to me. She read the letter out loud for everyone to hear.

"I, Sakonji Urokodaki, attest that the two demons that have been presented before you today have not once eaten a human being. And if it ever comes the day that either one of them were to consume any bit of human flesh I, along with Giyu Tomioka will commit seppuku and both demons involved will be killed."

The girl closed the letter and put it back in her kimono. The Master took a moment to assess the situation and then announced, "The two demons may be allowed to stay alive and join the Demon Slayer corps if they pass a test that will prove their strength." The Master took a pause in his speech. Shinazugawa took that moment to speak his mind, "I can not accept this Master. If it was a human I could let it pass but to keep a demon alive is absurd! Especially after everything us demon slayers have gone through in battle." Shinazugawa rushed over to where the demon siblings and I were and grabbed Nezuko, "I will show you that no demons can be trusted, Master."

Shinazugawa dragged Nezuko over away from me and Tanjiro. Tanjiro didn't know if he was allowed to go over there or not so he looked at me. Before I could decide what he should do, Iguro came and pinned him to the ground so he could not move. Iguro eyed me trying to figure out what I was going to do, I simply looked over to where Nezuko was.

Shinazugawa pulled out his blade and took it to his arm to let the blood flow. I now understood what he was trying to do. He wanted Nezuko to try and attack him to prove she wasn't safe. Shinazugawa flaunted his arm in front of Nezuko trying to bring out her demonic intentions. We all watched Nezuko intently waiting for anything to happen, my wish probably different from everyone else's.

After about a minute nothing had happened so Shinzugawa took his blade and stabbed it into Nezuko's shoulder. At this two muffled screams were heard, one from Nezuko and one from Tanjiro. I turned to Tanjiro and saw him struggling with his ropes. In a matter of seconds, he was able to break his arms out of the ropes and I went to pull Iguro's arm off his back.

Tanjiro rushed over to Nezuko's side, however I stopped him before he could get there. He looked up at me with confusion playing across his face. I could not answer his question at the moment so I held him and turned my attention back to Nezuko. She was struggling but did not seem to be giving in.

After a few minutes of all of us intently watching Nezuko and Shinazugawa Nezuko turned her head away from Shinazugawa's bloody arm. Nezuko turned towards me and Tanjiro and she came over to us. I brought them back over to the end of the line where we were earlier.

"May I ask to know what happened?" The Master said upon hearing the gasps when Nezuko turned away from Shinzugawa's arm. One of the twins responded telling him what happened. "I see, well I do hope that helps your concerns, my children." The Master said.

"Now, before the two demons can be considered demon slayers they will have to go through a test. However, because of their nature, the normal test would not work on them." The Master was smiling softly as he talked to us, "Instead they will be accompanying Giyu and Shinobu on a mission to Mt. Natagumo." At this news, I was surprised that so soon the siblings were going to be sent out on a mission. Shinobu however might not have felt the same way about it as I.

The Master provided us with some information about the mountain and what we should expect there. We were told that a family of demons lived on the mountain. Multiple slayers were sent to the mountain however none have reported back with news. Two Mizunoto were sent most recently to the mountain.

We were to head off to the mountain in a day. I wrote a letter to Urokodaki to explain the situation. Both Tanjiro and Nezuko were given lodging in the Butterfly Mansion so they could keep away from the sun. As soon as night hit we were going to start on our journey to the mountain.
——————————————————
1486 words
ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ