Chapter 13

Opal's POV
I had had enough. All of those threats I made, had to be carried out eventually.
And eventually was now.
I would do anything it took to go back home. I would fight anyone or anything who came in my way. I would lie, if needed. Fuck the deal we made. Fuck everything. I used to be proud of always fulfilling my promises.
Well, times change. People change. Behaviors change.
I began to pack. He could keep his dresses.
Actually, he couldn't. Because I was going to burn them. All of them.
I grab one of the backpacks I brought with me and begin to fill them with essentials. I wanted to bring my books, but I couldn't. I was going to escape the Underworld. That is not an easy job, and certainly one that couldn't be made carrying tons of heavy books on my backpack.
I figured that I would need to buy everything again. I was not going to bring things like a toothbrush and toothpaste to the fucking underworld. I would need lots of money, and considering that I hadn't had the pleasure to work in the past months, and savings was something I didn't have, I was going to steal it. From who? Hades of course, he was the god of riches, after all.
You could say that I stole out of necessity. But that wouldn't be the total truth. I did it out of spite as well.
With my backpack ready I left my room, careful to check that Hades wasn't anywhere in sight. He wasn't, and, strangely, there were no servants or guards either, except for Steve and John, but they're as good as statues.
I try not to think that it might be too easy.
During all the time I spent in the underworld, I did not see or hear about Hades's money. But there had to be some way. Someone to threaten or bribe. Or someone to follow.
I go look for a servant and when I find one I ask her where Hades is. She says that he is in a meeting and cannot be bothered.
Perfect.
I break into his room. He didn't even bother to lock the door.
After a few minutes of snooping I found a safe. Unfortunately, when I randomly learned how to break open a safe because I was bored, I didn't learn about this type. I needed the combination. I take my phone, that I haven't used in a long time since there's no internet connection in here, and begin to film. After hiding it somewhere where it wouldn't be too noticeable, I leave the room, going back to the library and pretending that nothing happened.
Now I needed a plan. Great!
First, the fire.
Where was I going to burn the clothes?
I wanted it to be somewhere noticeable. So that when he saw it he would realize exactly what I meant. I was going to burn them right in front of the palace's door.
Next, Cerberus. I needed something to defend myself with. A weapon of some kind.
And also I needed a distraction.
After that, Charon. That was simple. Money. And that was already being taken care of.
And then, I had to find a way out. If I managed to survive. If I died I would only go back.
And then, I was free. I would try to see where I was, praying that I wouldn't end up in a random country with a language that I couldn't speak. I only spoke English and Spanish. I probably needed to do some research about it. But, unless he was dumb (which didn't seem like an unlikely possibility), Hades probably wouldn't have books lying around telling me exactly how to escape.
I would figure it out when I got there. If I managed to survive Cerberus, figuring out a way to go back home wouldn't be much harder than that, right?
It wasn't time for lunch, yet. I go to the kitchen and when I walk by the dining hall I grab a bottle of vodka from the cabinet. I hid it in the hoodie I had brought just for that. No one even wondered why I had one when it would be ridiculous to wear a hoodie with a long dress.
I go back to my room and pretend that nothing happened.
***
Now I am in the corridor that leads to my room. I can see Steve and John. I only needed two more things. Fire and money.
I remember Steve's habit of smoking. Sometimes when I leave during the night to go to the garden he's there. Relaxing after his boring shift was over. The guards that stayed there during the night were useless. Always asleep. They changed every night and I didn't even bother to give them fake names. I could've left during the night if it weren't for the ones in the front door. Or the fact that I wasn't careless enough to face Cerberus and the underworld when there was no light.
I pretend to trip into the dress I was wearing and hold Steve to stop my fall. While he's asking me if I was hurt I go through his pockets. He's too focused on not losing his job to notice. After reassuring him that I am fine I enter my room.
I put the lighter I stole from Steve in the front pocket of the backpack and the vodka bottle in the main one.

I pretend that everything is fine when I go to the dining hall to have lunch with Hades. I continue to ignore him, as usual, while I let myself get distracted with my thoughts.

After lunch, Hades tells me that he had even more meetings. I pretend that I am not containing myself from jumping from happiness. I go to the kitchen, giving the excuse that I wanted ice cream, and steal all the meat that I could find from the fridge. Thankfully, since the cook was eating with the rest of the servants, no one noticed.
I needed weapons. I remember seeing tons of knives displayed in Hades's room. That was oddly convenient, but I wasn't going to waste time thinking about that. I needed to leave before there was no light out.
I go to his room, and check the footage on my phone. While I wasn't here, probably during the middle of his meetings, he used the safe. I hear the sound that the buttons make when he puts in the code. Four times, which means that there are four numbers. I examined the safe, there were four bottoms that were slightly more worn out than the others. 0, 3, 1, 8.
I studied the video where he inserted the code, and it was in the perfect angle. I could see where his fingers were headed and could associate them with the numbers.
The combination ended up being 3108. Which, coincidentally, was my birthday. August 31st.
I open the safe to reveal some of his money. He probably didn't keep all of it in his room. That safe seemed too small. And he was rich as fuck. But it still had enough money for me.
Now I only needed to decide how much I was going to take.
As much as I can.
I fill the front pocket of the backpack until it was full. He had different types of money, I took American dollars and euros. Just in case. I take five knives (my lucky number) off of the display and take them with me.
That was it.
Step one:
Fire.