Chapter 11

Opal's POV
two days later
That day would be the first one where I would see Hades after the party. Every time we saw each other it was extremely awkward, none of us daring to say a word. I couldn't exactly recall what had happened at the party. I knew that I did some kind of speech in front of everyone, I also remembered the feeling of Hades's arms holding me and laying me down on the bed. And how could I forget the sensation of his lips against mine? I just wasn't aware of everything I had said.
During the afternoon, I decided to go to the garden again. Not to read, as usual, but to simply lay down in the grass, to close my eyes and stop worrying, for once. At least, that was what I would've done if I wasn't interrupted by Hermes.
"I can feel you staring at me, Hermes." I said without opening my eyes
"Hello to you too, Opal."
I laughed and sat down. "To what do I owe you the pleasure of your company?"
"I came to visit the most beautiful living thing in the Underworld?"
"Really? And who would that be?"
"You, sweetheart." This game we were playing felt weird. Him calling me sweetheart felt weird. I liked Hermes, as a friend. Maybe I was being egocentric but I sensed that he might be expecting something more.
"I'm honored." I stand up and he holds my hand and places a kiss on it.
"Anything for you." Why was he acting so flirty all of the sudden? I was happy with the way he was before, why change? Had I done something that made him think I felt the same way? If so, what? Didn't he see me kissing Hades? "Let's leave this place, it stinks of Hades's perfume." I didn't even know that Hades wore perfume.
"And where would we go?"
"It's a surprise."
"I need to change first."
He examined my outfit, sweatpants and a t-shirt. "Obviously."
We walked together through the palace's corridors, his hand holding mine all of the time. I didn't know what to do, so I didn't pull my own hand away. It didn't mean anything, at least that's what I thought.
When we were almost reaching my bedroom, I heard the undistinguishable sound of Hades's footsteps. I whispered for Hermes to hide. If Hades ever saw him my only chance of leaving the underworld would be ruined, and I would never be allowed to see Hermes again.
"I thought that I would find you in the garden, Opal." Hades said "I was hoping that we could talk about what happened."
"Why?" I asked. "Am I not allowed to be here?"
"You know that you are perfectly allowed to be anywhere in this palace, love. It's just that I'm aware that you spend most of your days in that garden."
"Of course." I maintained eye contact. "In fact, I was making my way to the garden right now. I had to go back to grab my... book" I was a terrible liar. I never lied unless it was extremely necessary. In this case it was, my freedom depended on it.
"I can go with you, I planned to meet you there, right now." Did he know that I was lying?
"Actually, I would prefer to be alone for a while." I lied. "You know, reading for a bit."
"Are you saying that you prefer to read than to be with be."
"Exactly. How did you know?"
"I have a gift when it comes to understanding you, love."
"Sure you do. Well, I'll see you later."
"I'll see you at dinner, then."
"As always." I mumbled, walking away.
I entered my room and a few seconds after Hermes did too. He sat on my bed as I went to the bathroom to change clothes.
"Can I see?" He asked as I entered the bathroom.
"No, but you can fuck off." I didn't mean to sound rude. Fine, maybe a little bit. But sometimes these answers just came out without me really meaning to. In this case, he deserved it a bit.
When I left the bathroom, I was wearing one of the dresses that Hades gave to me. It fell above my knees and was baby blue with little white flowers.
"You didn't have to change just for me, sweetheart."
"I didn't. I changed because we're going out."
"Actually, I thought better about that and I just don't really feel like it."
"I suppose that we can stay here, then." I was a bit disappointed, but I wasn't planning on showing it.
"We'll watch a movie or something."
"That sounds good." I sat down next to him and grabbed the remote. I searched for a movie and we ended up watching Hercules, the Disney movie. "By the way, do you have the things I need? For my plan?"
"Actually, no. I forgot, sorry." Another disappointment.
Fifteen minutes later he started to get closer. I didn't think much of it, until he kissed me. I tried to pull away, but he had his hands around me.
"No, Hermes, I don't want to do this."
He didn't stop. "C'mon, Opal, just for a little while."
"I said no." I turned my face away.
"C'mon, don't be ridiculous." He pulled away to look me in the eyes
"I'm not being ridiculous." I say, standing up.
He leaves the bed as well and tries to get closer to me. I didn't know what to do. I was alone. He was my friend. Friends weren't supposed to do this. And I didn't think that the rules of friendship changed during the time that I remained friendless. I wanted to cry. I wanted him to leave. No. I needed him to leave.
I continued to walk away, he kept following me. Eventually I left the room. He followed.
"Why are you doing this to me?" I asked
"Don't pretend that you don't know why. I saw you kissing him at the party. I thought that you liked me, but then you said all that shit." He was angry, I had never seen him angry. He reminded me of my father. "And now, you're going to have to choose which one is better. Me, or him?"
He put one of his hands around my waist. "Let go of me." I screamed.
"Is it because of Hades? Why can't you understand that he's manipulating you? All this time. He didn't invite you to the party because he cared about you. It's just bad for his image if he shows up alone. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. I would never lie to you, Opal, you know this."
"No, he's not lying to me. You are. "
"No, Opal. He's the bad guy in this story. He's the one who's pulling us apart." He kissed me again, his hand traveling underneath my shirt. I felt it going up. And no matter how hard I tried to set myself free I couldn't.
"Hermes, please. Please, I'm begging you, please let me go. I don't want to do this. We're just friends. Please, Hermes, please, please, leave." No matter how many times I begged he was not going to let me go. The tears in my eyes were useless as well.
"If I leave, your plan will be ruined. You will never be able to escape. Is that what you want? Do you want to stay locked up in here forever?"
"N-No. But we can still be friends. You can still take me out of here. Just stop, please."
"If I did that, what would I gain from you? Your friendship? Truly an amazing one, really." He said the last sentence sarcastically. "I don't need you, Opal, but you need me, and you'll do anything to assure your freedom, won't you?"
I heard Hades again. "Get the fuck away from her." He yelled, pushing Hermes away from me.
"Chill out, bro, I was just joking around. Tell him, Opal." I said nothing, I just stood there crying. For once in my life I was grateful to have Hades there.
Hades punched him in the face. "Who the fuck do you think you are?" Hades pushed him against the wall and continued to fight him. I let myself fall to the floor. I closed my eyes and when I opened them again I found Hades staring at me. I could see the look of pity in his face. I did not need his pity. I was thankful for him saving me, but I couldn't bear the thought of seeming weak to someone. For the first time in my life, I needed someone to save me, and that someone had to be Hades.
He helped me get up. "Are you hurt?"
"No, I'm fine. Thank you."
I entered my room and closed the door. Not bothering to check if Hades wanted to come in or not.
I immediately started to pull the bed sheets off of the bed. He touched them, I didn't want them. Without realizing it, I started to cry again, tears of rage from letting myself be humiliated like that, from being abused like that. I screamed as I kicked the covers. I was so lost in the rage and pain that I didn't notice that Hades came in. He held my arms back as I tried to punch the pillows Hermes had rested his face on.
He was holding me, preventing me from continuing to take my rage on the covers, preventing me from kicking the bed as hard as I could. And I tried to break free.
I felt terrible. I hated that Hermes felt like he could take advantage of me. I hated everything. I hated the way I was humiliated. I hated the way that Hades was holding me. Like I was an animal. A dog who was trying to run away.
And I kicked and screamed and cried and he did not let go. The only thing he did was beg for me to calm down.
After I was feeling slightly more stable he let go of me. "Get the fuck out." I whispered.
He left and I didn't see him again until dinner.