« 09 »

━━━━━━━━

— PART TWO  of  THREE —
THERE IS NO HOPE ANYWHERE

— EMERSON STARED OUT OF THE WINDOW OF FORD E-350

— EMERSON STARED OUT OF THE WINDOW OF FORD E-350. She still felt dirty. Her last shower had been the morning after Shane assaulted her. She scrubbed her skin red until Carl knocked on the bathroom door and told her it was his turn to use it.

She could still feel his hands on her waist, on her arms. . . All over her.

"Right, Emmy? You'll come with us?" Carl asked her, bringing her out of the trance she was in.

"Of course. I'd never leave you guys." She said with a grin.

Rick glanced over at Emerson. He noticed how distracted she had become. It had been two days since the Center for Disease Control had blown up, and since then, Emerson didn't have anything else on her mind.

"You okay?" asked Rick in a low voice.

Emerson looked over at the man driving, "I'm fine. Thank you."

Rick scrunched his eyebrows together. Something was wrong. She wasn't her usual, snarky self, and if anyone else hadn't noticed, Rick sure did.

About an hour later, everyone was asleep.

"Why don't you get some rest?" Rick asked her.

Emerson sighed, "Look, can you just leave me alone? I'm not your girlfriend, I'm certainly not your wife. Leave me the hell alone, Rick. I'm fine. I've said I'm fine the last 100 times you've asked."

Rick stayed quiet after that, and eventually, Emerson did fall asleep.

When it was mid-afternoon, the caravan came to a stop. With everyone piled out, they could finally see the graveyard that was littered around them.

Emerson recognized the traffic snarl. It was the same one they were in almost three months ago.

"Radiator hose is shot. Good thing there's plenty to go around." Dale joked, causing most of them to smile.

Emerson kept her distance and stayed by Carl. He was the only who would keep her mind off of everything she had been through.

"Maybe we'll find some comic books. What do you think?" Carl asked Emerson.

Emmy smiled, "I think we just might somethin' really good."

"We'll find a lot here out here." Daryl confirmed, rummaging through the first car he saw.

"Maybe some water." Carol chimed in, to which Emerson gave her a reassuring smile.

"Think they've got cans of peaches out here somewhere?" Emerson asked out loud.