Chapter 24 - The Last Supper

Morning came after long hours, but Seras was consumed by the mechanical repetition of grinding gemstones by hand. This process produced so little results and she wondered just how long Harlequin toiled to achieve what she did.

Her hand was sore and her fingers did not close properly, but she was confident she would get it done in time, even if she took a pause to rest.

The pause took longer than expected, and she woke in bed, Beth shaking her arm.

"Seras, you need to change clothes."

"What, now?"

"Yes. The Lord Regent requests your presence at breakfast. Would you prefer to wear lace now?"

"Oh, no. I will change into that for supper."

The bath was quick and consisted of her soaking in the tub while the handmaidens watched in case she drowned herself.

"I would not. I die tomorrow, anyhow."

"Lord Regent's request, Miss," said Miriam, staring pointedly at the wall.

Seras stepped into the towels Beth held out. They dressed her in a fine tailcoat and jodhpurs. Seras handled expensive leather for work at times, but never for herself. She felt exquisite in them, and understood further why aristocrats were the way they were.

Once again she was marched down to the dining hall. Moments later, as soon as she sat at the table, Adonis swept in. Seras was convinced he waited for her to arrive before he even entered.

"I trust you had a pleasant night, forgemaster?"

Seras, her eyes dark and muscles worn out from sleeplessness, said as pleasantly as she could, "Wonderful, yes."

"A fine jacket as well. You look like you are about to burst in it." That was true; Seras had already unbuttoned it, but the shoulders were cut too tight for her and strained when she extended her arms.

"Well, it was your sister's."

Breakfast was conducted in silence. Seras did not know why Adonis even brought her down here to eat, because he would also send food up to the rooms. She suspected it had something to do with the occasional smug look he would give her.

"Are the dishes not to your liking?" he asked. "Tell me so. I want your final hours to be comfortable."

"The dishes are fine," said Seras, picking at her food. "Speaking of comfort, any chance I could go riding around the courtyard? A woman's last wish."

"And have you race out? I am sorry your riding gear will go unused. I would hate to have to kill Father's prize stallions just to stop you."

Seras shrugged; she did think about it.

Soon she was sent upstairs to languish her final day away. This was not unfortunate, as she resumed once again the torturous task of pulverizing sapphires. She almost wished the day would go faster.

A long while later, someone came knocking upon the study door. It could have been the handmaidens or it could have been the Lord Regent, but she rushed to hide what she was doing anyway.

Miriam emerged from the door, bearing a tray. Seras breathed relief, at the same time as a pang of hunger; it was mid-day and she had not noticed.

The handmaiden set the tray down and made to leave, but not before Seras stopped her.

"Tonight after I am prepared for supper, leave. Be away from these apartments, you and everyone that may be near. Listen for your life."

A flicker of confused fear passed over her face as Miriam nodded and continued out the door.