Emerson drew her weapon with Silas behind her. She heard Rick tell them to stay with him and Carl.

Walker's just kept coming at the group. Shane stood by their side, closer to Emerson and Silas.

They tried to protect who they could, but in the end, more than half of their own were gone.

Emerson dropped to her knee's as she took in the scene. Walker's littered the area, along with their family.

She heard Carl's cries behind her. The sight was miserable. Heartbreaking, even.

The detective wouldn't let herself cry. It was a heavy weight to carry, and Emerson felt like she had to bear it.

They went into the city for guns and ammo, and they came back with less than what they had originally brought back.

All due to the killers that lingered throughout the woods and beyond.

Bringing her out of her thoughts, was a small boy. He wrapped his arms around her and cried.

"Emmy. . ." He said softly as his sobs filled the air.

The word didn't have time to register in Emerson's mind. Instead, she embraced him and hoped that the pieces of her heart could stay together long enough for Carl Grimes.

━━━━━━━━

The next morning, everyone was dragging bodies and making piles. Walkers went into one, and their people went into the other.

Emerson opted to dig graves with Shane and Rick. It only ended in arguing about their next move.

"Say it." said Rick.

"Okay," Shane scoffed, "I'm thinkin' if you guys woulda stayed here, this wouldn't have happened. Our loss wouldn't be so bad. Instead, you barely got back in time for all
Hell to break loose and took half our man power with you."

"If we hadn't of gone off and brought those guns back, our losses would have been worse." Rick responded.

Before Shane could speak again, Emerson spoke up, "I've been saying for weeks we need to have a training session with these people. If we were all trained on a weapon, last night wouldn't have been bad at all. We would have held our own.

"So get your damn head out of your fucking ass, Walsh. We lost people, now we have to fix it and move on." She finished, throwing her shovel his way.

This made him angry. He started to storm after her, until Rick stopped him.

"Don't." He warned. Instead, Shane shoved his friend off and caught up with Emerson.

"What is your deal, woman?" Shane asked her.

"My deal Shane, is that you are a lying, dirty, rotten, mistress! I don't fuck guys who help other women cheat on their husbands."

"You watch your mouth, Scott. Lori came on to me–"

"Oh, so you just couldn't keep your dick in your pants?" She asked him. "God, and to think I might have actually started to like you!"

Shane was shocked. He had been pining after Emerson since they got to camp.

"That was the past. I'm different now. Lori is just as much at fault as I am." He defended. "Look, Emmy, I'm sorry. It was wrong and I knew it."

Emerson didn't say anything. She looked up at Shane, whose brown eyes were pouring into hers. She was weak.

"Just leave me be for a while, alright? Go apologize to your partner for sleeping with his wife."

Shane just nodded and turned on his heel. Emerson watched him walk away and then did the same. She walked back down to where Silas was and asked him how things were coming along.

"We're almost done. Just gotta load a few more, then we'll head up there."

Emerson nodded in reply and then walked over to collect Carl. "You ready to head up there?"

Carl didn't say anything, but instead, stood up and grabbed her hand. She led the group up to the top of the hill, with the truck in front of them.

"There are no rules." She heard Rick say.

"Well, we need some." She argued.

Silas rolled his eyes, "Now is not the time to argue, Emerson. We need to bury our dead. That's what people do." He told her.

She shrunk back and stayed quiet. As did Rick and Shane, along with Daryl who was standing with them.

One by one they lowered the bodies into the graves. Everyone watched Andrea lower Amy into the ground, and struggle to do so.

Dale offered to help her, but Andrea refused.

The scene broke their hearts.

"It's not fair." Carl mumbled, crying softly.

Emerson placed her finger in between her teeth, biting the skin off. A nervous habit she had whenever things got tough.

Silas did the same.

It was a heartbreaking loss for them that fateful day. Lives were lost, and now, they wondered what they would do next.

━━━━━━━━