chapter twelve | regret

Start from the beginning

"Aunt Maya will be at the airport tomorrow to pick you up okay?"

I smile at him and nod. I just want to savor the way his side profile looks as he drives, his bicep flexing as he moves the steering wheel, and the feeling of his fingers on my skin.

After a very sad drive to the airport, Austin'
walks me as far as he can into the airport. He pulls me in for a hug and then cups my face with his hands.  He rubs the tears off my face with his thumbs before kissing me.

"Have a safe flight 'Lina. I'll see you soon."

I hold him just a bit longer before giving him a last kiss. He rubs my chin with his thumb wiping the last of my tears away before walking away.

A couple hours have passed of my very long flight and I get a notification on my phone.

These fuckers are so quick

We do look really good together though, I can't lie.

I stare at the picture and smile just picturing being back in his arms. I think I love him. I think I'm in love with him.

Many hours pass on the flight and I finally make it back to LAX.

Maya greets me at the baggage claim with a big smile on her face.

"Hi sweet girl." She pulls me in for a hug.

"Thank you for coming to get me Maya."

"No problem, kid."

We collect my luggages and start heading back to Austin's condo. Well I guess my condo now too. God, that's so weird to say.

"He'll be back soon sweetie, if you need anything you give me a call. I'm not far." Maya says as we say our goodbyes at the entrance of the condominiums.

I finally make it inside to see that they have already started the remodel. All of the furniture is basically gone except for the bed.

I sit down on the edge and grab my phone from my bag to call Austin.

"Hi babygirl." I hear on the other line, his voice raspy like he had just been awaken.

"I'm sorry, I forgot about the time difference, I didn't mean to wake you up."

He chuckles. "I'm guessing you made it home okay?"

"I did. Now get some rest. I'll talk to you tomorrow."

"Alina."

"Yes Austin?"

"I wanted to tell you yesterday.. 

Theres either a pause for dramatic effect or his service sucks.

"...that I love you."

My heart drops. The knives in my stomach feel like they are going to rip through my skin.