Smores & Starlight

Following the boys up a winding road, they soon turned into a driveway that led to a sprawling log cabin. The cabin wasn't the right term to describe the place, it was definitely the size of a ski lodge, based on how big it was, Scarlett thought. "Would you look at the size of this thing?! It's amazing! We met the right people, oh dang, are we even going to fit into this fancy crowd?" Jocelyn voiced exactly what Scarlett had just been thinking out loud.

"It is gorgeous, I've only ever seen these places from a distance, it's even more impressive up close! I'm sure we will be fine though, we already know two people here and I'm sure they will introduce us to more. If it gets awkward or uncomfortable we can always leave." Scarlett responded with optimism, reassuring her friend that they weren't trapped.

"You're right, we totally got this girl! You know me, I'm always one to become the life of a party. Let's see how things go." Jocelyn agreed, at this point, they had parked next to the guys and Jocelyn took her seatbelt off and got out of the car.

A smile played on Scarlett's face as she watched Joss bounce her way over to Jake. Her thoughts were interrupted as her door was opened and Killian's smirk filled her vision. He held out his hand to help her exit the car, and she gracefully placed her hand in his.

"So, what do you think? It's quite something, it's been in my friend Joey's place for a long time. His parents are off on a cruise in Europe and gave him free rein of the place. He throws a party here almost every weekend during the summer. Come on you have to see the view from the back of the house." Killian explained as he held onto her hand, leading her down a stone-paved lane.

The lodge was two stories, sprawling on a large piece of land surrounded by beautiful towering trees. The air was full of the fragrance of pine, and the scent was lovely, making Scarlett inhale deeply. The lodge although made of wood, had a lovely stone border around it, and she could see on one side of the house that the stones continued up in the form of a chimney.

Flower beds lined the front of the porch steps and the arched windows made the look complete. She felt a tingling sensation as her hand remained in his, and when she looked up at him, he saw him gazing at her with a twinkle in his eye. Killian squeezed her hand gently, continuing on his way to the back.

Her mouth dropped open in amazement, several grills were being manned by a couple of guys, some girls and guys playing volleyball, and a gorgeous view of the lake. There was already a huge bonfire roaring near the shore, the gentle water lapping on the shore made a most impressive scene.

Seeing the look of amazement on her face, Killian smirked pulling her gently further into the array. "I knew you'd love it, come I'll introduce you to some of my friends. It looks like Jocelyn and Jake are already joining the volleyball game." He nodded to the two, as he walked toward the table of food.

Turning her attention to where he directed he saw a big smile on Jocelyn's face as Jake picked her up and twirled her around. She could hear her friend's laughter from here and it made her chuckle in turn. The food brought her attention back, everything looked amazing as she saw the spread. Potato salad, corn on the cob, watermelon, hot dogs, burgers, condiments, and all the other fixings one would want to put on a burger. There was also a pasta salad, and chips of all kinds, and for dessert, there was apple pie, brownies, and ice cream in an outdoor freezer.

Her mouth watered as she saw it all, Killian handed her a plate as he started filling up one of his own. She quickly got a burger together, and some of everything on it, and put some chips, corn on the cob, and some watermelon on her plate. They then made their way over to some of the picnic tables and took a seat.

"Ahh, there he is! It's about time, it's good seeing you, man! Feels like it's been ages since we hung out. And who is your lovely new acquaintance?" A man sitting at the table welcomed as he nodded to Killian in greeting, shaking his hand vigorously. He smiled in a friendly way at Scarlett, winking teasingly as he shook her hand as well.