It Begins With A Paddleboard

Waking up early is never fun, but on this day Scarlett didn't mind, because she and her roommate were headed for a day at the lake. It was as if it energized Scarlett, which made her get ready quickly for a fun day ahead. The weather was promising to be a hot day, perfect for swimming, or floating on a tube. With that she threw on her swimsuit and packed her beach bag, raring to go.

It didn't take long for Scarlett and her friend/ roommate, Josselyn, to prepare everything and make the hour-long drive to the lake. Lake Jocassee was one of the most beautiful lakes Scarlett had ever been to, with its gorgeous blue-ridge mountains in the background, the towering trees, the clear blue-green water, and the surprisingly clean sand, it made a picturesque scene.

Scarlett smiled excitedly toward Josselyn as she said, "You ready to get out there and get our tan on?" She winked playfully, as she made her way to the trunk of the car to get their things out. The girls had made quick work of the hour drive, singing to the radio and talking about this and that.

"Oh, you know it, babe! By the time we go home, I'll be at least two shades darker, just you wait! Not to mention the spectating I'll be doing." Josselyn replied conspiratorially, as she tilted her sunglasses down to examine the surroundings, looking for any eligible bachelors, she waggled her eyebrows playfully.

Chuckling at her friend's teasing, Scarlett elbowed Josselyn playfully, "You'll have plenty of time for that later, now quit lollygagging and come help me with this stuff!" She managed to juggle several things in her hands, a tube, her bag, and a small cooler.

"Alright, alright, let me get the rest so we can get on the water. It's a good thing we came early, this place is filling up fast! The parking lot is almost full!" Josselyn stated in a somewhat shocked but mostly relieved voice. She grabbed her bag, a picnic cloth, and a tube after she threw her towel on top of her shoulder.

Nodding in agreement Scarlett waited patiently as Josselyn closed the trunk and locked the car. Finally, they made their way to the edge of the lake. People were milling about all over, people trying to find a good spot to put down their stuff. Others were busy having picnics, or up at the lodge trying to rent one of the kayaks, paddle boards, or canoes.

Watching all the activity made Scarlett feel excited to finally jump into the water herself, she looked at the paddle boards with intrigue. She had seen people do it before and had even tried it very briefly one other time, and she had a longing to try it again. It was too bad that it was too expensive, otherwise, she might have rented one, but it wouldn't have been worth it for the amount of time that she would use it.

Oh well, she knew that she and Josselyn would have a fun day, regardless of not being able to go further out into the lake. With that, she started helping Josselyn find a small spot of their own. The girls agreed on a somewhat secluded spot that was close to the water and set their things down

"Last one in is a rotten egg!" Scarlett yelled teasingly back to Josselyn as she ran in and jumped. As she plunged into the depths of the lake, the cold water shocked her at first, but when she rose from the water she felt fantastic, enjoying the feeling of the water all around her body.

"What are we five? How is it?" Josselyn asked as she shielded her eyes from the sun. She was examining Scarlett's face intently, trying to figure out the temperature by her reaction.

"Cool at first but lovely once you get in. Just take the plunge and jump! That is always the best way to do it. Come on, just do it already!" Scarlett waved her in as she smiled invitingly.

"Alright, alright, I'm coming." With that, she came running in and screamed playfully as her legs touched the water, "Cool is an understatement, Scarlett!!! You're right though, it feels great... now!" Josselyn scowled playfully at her friend.