Chapter 31 | 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔟𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔥 𝔭𝔩𝔞𝔠𝔢 𝔬𝔣 𝔞 𝔪𝔬𝔫𝔰𝔱𝔢𝔯

{𝔑𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔯 𝔤𝔬𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔩𝔢𝔱 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔤𝔬. 𝔊𝔦𝔳𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔪𝔶 𝔥𝔢𝔞𝔯𝔱 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔰𝔬𝔲𝔩 ℑ'𝔩𝔩 𝔟𝔢 𝔯𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱 𝔥𝔢𝔯𝔢 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔣𝔬𝔯 𝔩𝔦𝔣𝔢. 𝔒𝔥, 𝔟𝔞𝔟𝔶 𝔞𝔩𝔩 ℑ 𝔴𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔡𝔬 ℑ𝔰 𝔰𝔭𝔢𝔫𝔡 𝔪𝔶 𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔯𝔶 𝔰𝔢𝔠𝔬𝔫𝔡 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲. 𝔖𝔬 𝔩𝔬𝔬𝔨 𝔦𝔫 𝔪𝔶 𝔢𝔶𝔢𝔰 ℑ'𝔩𝔩 𝔟𝔢 𝔟𝔶 𝔶𝔬𝔲𝔯 𝔰𝔦𝔡𝔢, 𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔫 𝔦𝔣 ℑ 𝔡𝔦𝔢}

 𝔖𝔬 𝔩𝔬𝔬𝔨 𝔦𝔫 𝔪𝔶 𝔢𝔶𝔢𝔰 ℑ'𝔩𝔩 𝔟𝔢 𝔟𝔶 𝔶𝔬𝔲𝔯 𝔰𝔦𝔡𝔢, 𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔫 𝔦𝔣 ℑ 𝔡𝔦𝔢}

El took a few steps forward before Will's voice echoed throughout her ears. He sounded anxious. His face was lumped with fear and full of yearning. Mike quickly took notice before slowly moving his arm to the back of his hand. "Do you see her? Do you see Max? Grayson? Is she there?"

"No" she murmured, squinting her eyes as the skateboarding kids whooshed past her, carefully avoiding each other. "But she's here" El whispered with determination, seeking out her best friend's fiery red hair. "She has to be here or at least Grayson"

•••••

Lex peered through the boarded-up window, shining his flashlight in a repetitive motion. sweat rolled down his face, gathering up at the end of his soaked shirt collar. "C'mon" he muttered, tapping his feet anxiously. His sweaty hair loomed over his eyes frustrating him to no end. "Cmon"

Lucas watched the boy with pity. He stood awkwardly beside him and watched as his fingers tightened around the base of the light and softened as he clutched Grayson's scratched-up Walkman in the other.

Lex pressed up his damp forehead against the wooden plank, releasing small complicated huffs of air. Lucas's mouth grew dry with shock. Never in his years of knowing the boy had he seen him cry. He was always happy go lucky never ever with a sad look in his eye. "Hey" he whispered, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder. Lex turned, harshly wiping his eyes off with his sleeves.

"Hey, hey, hey" Lucas muttered, bringing the boy into his embrace. "It's okay" he cooed, running his fingers through his hair. "It's okay"

Lex melted into his arms, burying his face into his neck. He tried to form sentences but just couldn't find the right words. "I...I didn't...we...oh, Grayson" he croaked, stammering over his words. Lucas just tightened his hold not caring about anything else in the world but him. Lexus Turner. The boy he managed to fall in love with.

"Promise...." Lex swallowed thickly. "Promise me you'll stay by my side" he whispered, gripping onto Lucas's shirt like he would disappear if he didn't.