iii. 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘢𝘧𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘩

chapter three the aftermath

chapter three
the aftermath

💗

HAWKINS, 1981

Lily Wright's first week as a Freshman at Hawkins High was going well. She'd planned all of her outfits a week in advance, and she had been absolutely right in thinking they'd grab the attention of her peers, right away.

Her favourite lesson so far has been Art. Lily loves to paint, she's been doing it since she was very young, and it's needless to say she has a natural talent for it. She enjoys sketching out pictures of her friends or her dad, sometimes using her own photographs as a reference and bringing photo albums to life with a rough sketch and a paint brush. Her boyfriend, Steve, has been drawn, and painted more times than he can count, just so Lily can mark down the improvements and make it as realistic as possible.

Steve is her favourite face to draw. It's the one she knows off by heart, each crease and freckle memorised like the back of her hand. How could she not? She's known this boy for as long as she can remember, all the way back since she was four years old.

The only trouble is, she hasn't seen much of him, this week. She supposes it's because she's a freshman and he's a sophomore, so their schedules are slightly different. She's done her best to try and find him during lunch or whenever they both had a break, but he always seems to be busy.

It's all good, though — she's got the weekend to look forward to. On Saturday, she and Steve are going to rent out Grease and have a movie night in (Lily has only just found out he's never seen it — and that has to change)

It's when she's walking absentmindedly down the hallway, trying to figure out if she'd have enough money to order a pizza on Saturday or if she'd have to buy snacks first — does a familiar face catch her eye.

Lily's face breaks into a smile at the sight of her boyfriend, his two best friends at his side as they all lean against their lockers mid-conversation.