i. 𝘱𝘰𝘪𝘴𝘰𝘯𝘦𝘥 𝘱𝘶𝘮𝘱𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘴

chapter one  poisoned pumpkins

chapter one
poisoned pumpkins

💗

LILY WRIGHT WAKING UP to her father's frustration over their glorious pumpkin patch is a usual thing, for her. It happens every year — he worries that they're not growing fast enough, that they're not getting big enough. That the crows will eat their way through and ruin them, or kids will storm through their fields and crush them.

So she's not overly startled when, as she's covering a baby pink dress with fake blood in preparation for Halloween tomorrow night, she hears her father yelling about something downstairs to do with 'pumpkins' and 'McCorkle'. What does catch her attention, though, is hearing him dial the phone and mention something to do with poison and their 'vengeful neighbour Eugene'.

She frowns to herself, picking up her dress and carefully carrying it downstairs. Lily walks past her father in the kitchen, as she heads for the back door, so she can hang her dress out on the clothes line in order for the fake blood to dry.

"I knew he was bitter about the whole Pick Your Pumpkin scheme, but to do a thing like this! I thought better of Eugene, I really did," Lily hears her father say, as she comes back through the kitchen.

She turns her head to check the time, and calculates she has ten minutes to quickly eat before leaving for school. Lily grabs two pieces of bread and puts them in the toaster, before turning back to her father who has one hand on his head, visibly stressed.

"What's up, Dad?" Lily asks, grabbing some butter from the fridge.

Merril Wright sighs. "Our pumpkins have been ruined," he says. "Poisoned, the lot of them,"

"Poisoned?" Lily frowns. "Are you sure?"

She knows her dad can be dramatic about his pumpkins, but he's never once before said they've been poisoned.

"You can go and take a look at them yourself if you don't believe me," Merril tells his daughter. "I just got off the phone with the police,"

"The police?!"