Summertime madness

"Oh summertime. Your rich scent of lavender and sea salt and that heavy taste of too many layers of sunscreen. It feels like you will never end", Alex mumbled with his deep voice underneath that strawhat that coverd his face. Mila watched him lounging way too casual at the edge of the sailing boat. She knew him since they were 10 years old, yet now, right now, for the first time she really looked at him. Alex with his melodramatic self. Always being poetic. Ever so charming. Always the right words in the right moment. The kind of words only euro old money kids use that got sent away to boarding school at early age to learn how to play the game of the rich and successful. And still, for the first time, she realized: we've grown up. She lazily gazed him up n down. His tanned and slender body. Skinny legend and elegant hands. Although he wasn't as skinny anymore. While Mila got lost on the fine sculptured lines of his abs she heard his low voice again.

"Like what you see, babe?", he said with a crooked grin.

"Well, babe, you caught me", she snapped back. "So, what's the plan for tonight, shall we have dinner on the coast?"

They heard a loud scream from down in the cabin: "Drinks and party, that's what's up tonight" she heard Siri yelling. She must have listened. Her best friend was already in full glam mode for tonights festivities. Siri was Alexes wildcat sister and there was absolutely no question that it was going to be an epic summer when they invited Mila for this years trip to the croatian coast.

"Mila, get your ass down here so we can squeeze you into an skimpy outfit and get that ocean hair under control"

An hour later they slowly navigated towards the coastline of this tiny old town called Rovinji. She saw  old brick houses staking on top of each other and at the highest point she could see the tower of an old church, looking down to the old town. Hovering above it. Protecting it. Having an eye on every single soul walking on the old plastered streets. The sun kissed the scenery in unreal light. The water was somewhere between a deep dark blue and an emerald green. You simply cannot capture this beauty with the camera. You have to soak it in and hope you will never forget it.

An hour later they found them selves on an elaborate party on a rooftop bar of the hotel that could be easily be a James Bond hideaway for the villain.It was placed on the side of the mountain and there was no question about the high standards of the architecture, interior of selection of guests. Overlooking the scenery of the town and the boats coming in the harbor as the sun went down ever so slowly. Siri already highjacked the bar and was on a mission for the good booze. Alex positioned himself strategically so every girl could get a good glance at him. He was also on a mission. A flirtatious one. Mila felt like she didn't belong. Like she always did. She knew she looked the part, in the beautiful seafoam green satin dress that Siri got her. It fell perfectly at all the right places and felt like barely anything on her skin. She looked timelessly stunning, she just didn't feel like she truly belonged.

The full moon was high above them and the alcohol level was equally high as she enjoyed laughing with her bestie about Alexes attempts to sway a french girl. When all of a sudden her eyes met with another pair of eyes. Amber eyes. Like warm honey, she thought. Like golden eyes.

All of a sudden, out of nowhere, she was captivated. At that very moment, too many thing happened at the same time.

Time itself, stood still. All the noise and commotion of the reality surrounding her muted down in an instant. There was only a very strong, deep, loud heart beat. Those eyes, passing her by, not looking at her, but looking into the very depth of her. A cold breeze on her skin that made her shiver but deep inside her she felt a fire igniting from an unknown place. It might have been a moment of eternity that she got lost in those eyes, or just the tiniest fracture of a second. Then, the moment was over.

She felt a dizziness as she searched for the person with the amber eyes. "Babe, you ok?" Siri asked with slightly slurry speech. "Yeah, yeah, all good...did you see that guy who just passed by?"

"Who are you talking about,M? Did someone catch you eye, he better have a friend because I'll be damned if you leave me here on my own" Siri giggled.

"I think I am using the bathroom for a moment, I'll be back in a second, ok" Mila said and rushed off.

She squeezed her self through the well dressed and even better scented party people and tried to find her way to the bathrooms. As she finally found it she stood infront of the mirror, with week knees wondering what just happened. "It must be the alcohol" she told herself. "Who the hell has golden eyes. Maybe somebody spiked my drink" She took a close look at herself in the mirror to check if her pupils were dilated. All she saw was her green eyes and everything else looked normal. She opened her hair that she kept up in a tight knot. She insisted to keep her hair that way because it was way too hot when she left the boat. As her long dark hair cascaded down her back she felt a breath at her neck.

She turned around in shock, and there he was.

Not directly behind her, like she thought. But right at the door. Amber eyes. Golden eyes. And now she saw the rest of him too. Sharp cheekbones and a hard expression on his face. Dark red lips that were pressed together. A face that withheld emotions. She shuttered from the inside. This man looked at her with anger.

"Who are you?" he growled.

"Excuse me?" she whispered in disbelief.

"You cannot stay here"

"Are you serious?", Mila fired back as she felt a fire exploding inside of her. All of a sudden she felt mind numbing anger inside. "You, leave this ladies restroom right now! I don't care who you are but I swear I will scream if you come any cl..."

She didn't even finish the sentence as out of the blue the lights went off and she felt a heat raging inside of her. She still saw his eyes.It was pitch black dark but she still saw those eyes glowing warmly in the darkness. They came closer. "Stay away" she said with a calm but crystal clear voice. And without fear.

When he was right infront of her, she smelled his scent. Warm, pulsating. She could smell his anger, confusion and there was something else she couldn't  put a finger on. And instinct told her: He is scared. Of me. I am a threat.She held her breath, overwhelmed by all the information she got only by consuming his scent.She wondered what secret he would reveal if she could only once let her tongue run over his skin. Then he once again said, no he whispered:

"YOU CANNOT STAY HERE."

Then everything went black and Mila passed out.