[SEASON 2] Chapter 20

Start from the beginning

"Approved," Gura gave her a stamp of approval.

What was Gura's definition of a kid anyway?

Ame was trying to find out if she could borrow anything else expensive around here.

"My dad always told me to never talk to the people in the kitchen. Guess I can't really do that now, can I?"

"If you could remember Gura, what were you like when you didn't set out for the surface?"

Everyone looked like they had the same question.

"Hm... A bit immature. Funnily enough, being a role model for everyone didn't mean you'd automatically be a good person. I argued a lot, didn't do what I was told, and often questioned more so than my siblings. I was a pain in the ass, honestly. You wanna know why Atlantis sank?"

I raised an eyebrow.

"I kind of offended the other gods. Had a bout with them, stood my ground, and laughed at them for being slow. As a result, earthquakes and tsunamis affected Atlantis to a great degree it descended to the very deep."

"I didn't think you were that strong." Can't really imagine Zeus struggling in a battle against Gura.

"Don't judge a book by its cover, my dear friend."

"Doesn't sound like a role model at all if you ask me," Calli had her back turned to us, investigating the cupboards while Gura threw a little pebble at her. "Hey." The reaper scratched the back of her hair, her glare imminent.

"My hand slipped."

"You're in your natural habitat. How do you f**k up that easily?" Calli cursed.

Normally, Calli didn't show such emotion. I must've really pissed her off when I wasn't opening up. When she noticed, Calli sighed and returned back to finding anything that could shed light to the disappearance of many an individual in Atlantis. "My bad. A fly landed on my nose. "

"Are there even flies underwater?" Ina asked no one but herself.

"There are but nowhere near this deep," Gura said.

Kiara immediately went to stop the impending commotion. "We should probably check other places of the castle. Documents, notes, journals, even torn up fabric can explain something!"

"I'm going downstairs for a bit. It's only one floor but I think I can manage. I got the lower areas. You guys can search the top ones." I said.

"Sure thing, don't worry though. Ina's really sensitive to sounds if she doesn't use her powers for how long. She'll hear you screaming right away." Kiara assured me though it didn't help I imagined a lot of bad possibilities.

"You're already thinking of the worst possible outcome that can happen to me, aren't you?" I indicated to Kiara.

"I'm still sure about earlier. I sensed someone else was with us." Ina attempted to frighten me but she was actually damn serious in saying it. "Going alone might be a bad idea even if you're only one floor lower than us. Kiara could accompany you down there."

"I'm not a child."

"How old are you again?"

I was turning 21 but that didn't matter right now.

I pouted, turning my back and heading for the stairs. "I'll make sure to scream incase a swordfish stabs my butt. I'll tell you guys if I find something."

"I'll smash the floor to get down there quickly. Take your time!" Kiara really had a way with words as she waved at me.

Calli occupied herself inside the library, the most uneventful place in the world according to Gura. I never really thought she'd had an interest in books but she was generally accepting of anything so long as it didn't burden her. The idiotically assuming side of me assumed she holed herself up in there to both contribute and avoid me. Now I felt like an asshole for being the way I am.

I could've just told her something else besides confessing my feelings.

Going one floor down wasn't as bad as I thought. I just have to imagine that what I was doing wasn't out of the ordinary. Descending downstairs is a normal human action. Though trying to find any information of a dead race or god because of it was nowhere near my playing field.

Soon, I was looking at myself in the mirror inside a room. Of all the furniture around here wrecked and destroyed, this mirror was still standing in top condition. I was in a lower floor than the others which normally wouldn't happen. I'd piss myself at the sight of a thing that swims faster and can gobble me up faster than I can eat a whopper.

Thoughts of Calli probably made me not care anymore if my life was in danger. I had hurt her because I couldn't say anything. I didn't even care if a Megalodon existed. Calli being in pain because of me was something I couldn't live with.

The mirror in front of me perfectly displayed how pitiful I was. How long did this mirror stand here? To give a clear reflection meant it was free of unfairness. It completely captured all the details of my face and shoulders as if it was recently bought. Not a single blemish or hint of dirt. Only pure glass withstanding the test of time. Something didn't feel right.

Gura was right behind me.

"Gura? You're also down here? I thought you were-"

Her eyes were red.

I didn't need to look back.

The mirror showed me as she gave me a grin.

"Nowhere to hide. No one will hear you down here."

The door closed.