[SEASON 2] Chapter 19

Start from the beginning

"The last part reminds me of how gods aren't tied with normalcy in relation to childbirth. They expected too much of their children." I said.

"Gods aren't little, after all. They prefer to have a lot in everything they do," Ina mentioned, her flaps acting up. "Hm... That's weird. I'm sensing someone other than us."

Gura waved Ina's concern off. "Don't worry about it. Remember what Roger the Tortoise said? There's a couple of fishes here and there. I doubt a creature stronger than us lives here."

Now that you say that, I'm beginning to imagine what kinds of monsters live down here if I was with my lonesome... Come to think of it, I had never even thought of such things until Gura brought it up. I must've been immersed with the dead-silent tranquility Atlantis owned.

"... You're probably right. The Necronomicon did tell me I'd feel off with my powers today."

"Tell us right away if you're feeling sluggish okay, Ina?" Kiara got a thumbs-up from the priestess. Phoenix girl turned her head at me. "You not feeling blue, Clay? You good?"

Gura would spend the rest of the ten minutes discussing how travel was done in Atlantis using magic sea waves that existed around the border. It was like a long rope encircling the whole place and travelling was easier because it slingshot fishes from one point to another.

When we were out of the long tunnel, the area I perceived to be a plaza of sorts opened new heights to the place's grandeur. As standard as it is, elongated dwellings and edifices erected themselves with obvious traces of antiquity to them. The road in front of us separated into multiple angles, leading to different locations and a big tree without leaves at the center. Everyone separated for a bit and admired the sights. It was just me and Kiara for some reason who remained by the tunnel's entrance.

"I'm feeling just fine. I assume it's dumb to ask you the same question."

Kiara laughed at that. I wasn't even joking. It was hilarious to be concerned since I was the most fragile piece of meat here.

"Glad you know, Clay. Nonetheless, I'm surprised. Places like these invite a lot of paranoia and insanity. As expected of Calli's number-one assistant."

"I'm not even sure what good I'm for in being here." It was funny. I never thought of these things before. As the assistant, I memorized Calli's schedule more than a hundred times to relay them to her right away if she asked. I knew her tendencies and preferences. Worked around those and did my absolute best in making her comfortable. But moments like these under the world made me ponder.

What good was I really for besides being a calendar and a washing machine? Things and thoughts that hadn't occurred to me bit at my brain to probe me into overthinking mode. Calli never argued if I took her to a place she wanted to go in a car or we'd book a ticket for an airplane. Deep inside, she must've thought, 'I bet I'm faster than these things can take off'.

"What do you mean? You're doing a lot by being here."

"If you're telling me I make you guys happy regardless of how weak I am then maybe the world would be easier to live in that way."

"Power isn't everything, Clay. Money might win but once all of those ends, what else is there?" she said. "For one, Calli loves your company. So much she'd invite you to a place she knows you can handle. She wants you a part of the group. Things like that," Kiara pointed to Calli who was glancing at me with a peace sign. "-you can't buy with money nor have it with power. Calli voluntarily accepted you because of your own strength. Never forget that, shorty."

"I'm shorter than you...?"

"Technically I'm wearing heels but let me have this moment."

If a situation came where the girls would fight, I'd probably be somewhere praying they'd be safe. I didn't want that. But what was I going to do? If I wanted a fraction of their power, it'd only last for a specific duration. Any more and my system would die because it'd be too much to handle. What strength was Kiara even talking about?

"O-ow..." A skin of my finger got cut by a jagged wall. A red dot soon popped out and later spilled to mesh with the water. I was consumed with my thoughts that I got careless.

Calli's fingers instantly blanketed mine. She inspected it as if it were an extension of her own limb.

"Uh Calli, I'm fine-"

"You guys go ahead," Calli made sure everyone heard her as they went deeper into the plaza, listening to Atlantean jargon by Gura.

"Okay~! Teehee! Let's go guys!" Kiara pushed the other girls forward, giving me her signature smirk.

Now it was just the two of us.

"I'm really fine, Calli... We should go with the others-"

Her grip was anything but gentle. I felt resigned to this hold, like a state of paralysis I wouldn't mind taking over. She wasn't letting me have my way.

"When we're in a group, you're all chatty and full of questions but when it's just me..." What a glare. "It feels as if you're hiding something from me."

I don't know what came over me. My face must've harbored no color because we're underwater so I did my best to remain calm in front of this woman who could seriously send me packing to a mortuary.

"I'm not. Going to a new place that's not orthodox is going to make me feel itchy."

"Like I have said. Prior this trip, you can't meet me eye-to-eye for more than a minute. What is really going on?" She stared at me closer. "Did I do something to offend you?"

"You haven't. It's a me problem."

"Then what's this problem you aren't able to tell me that's clearly putting a distance on how we usually work together?" I couldn't focus as her fingers softly felt mine in her grasp. She was doing her absolute best to not harm me as her expression softened. "If it extends to business, then I think I have the right to find out. I'm worried, you know...? I'm not just your boss. I'm your friend."

I can't tell you I like you. I feel like that'd introduce a whole new kind of madness. I'd have to deal with the fact I can't ever be like her or live long like her. There was no point to dream of a relationship. What could I offer her besides a company that won't last? I am disappointed and I am sad I'm feeling this way but to be beside her felt amazing. Not only that, I'd probably get fired. I can't lose this job.

Even if I am dismissed from being her assistant one day, I don't want to lose Calli as a friend either. I was both feeling terrified and stupid.

"... I just can't."

Her soft expression was still there but even I could tell she was disappointed too. "I'll always be here if you're ready to tell me."

She meant that. Because she'd never die.

Calli's focus was back on my finger. "Let me bandage it. Stay still then."

"Okay." Was all I could say.

"Once we're done here, we'll go back with Gura and the others. If you feel uncomfortable with me, I'll do my best to steer clear until we get back to work."

I wanted to kiss her.

"There," My finger was already bandaged up. "We'll get it checked later. I'm not really sure if you got an infection or not. Just want to be sure."

"Thank you, Calli."

"Your welcome. Let's go."

I made her sad. I should really drown for that.